Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm QUITTING and need your support >

I'm QUITTING and need your support

I'm QUITTING and need your support

Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Chantix worked well for my DH. You go girl! More money for fabric. That's a win win. :D
Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. I hope ~ no ~ I CAN do this and your encouragement means so much. Will update you though the process.

PQ
Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Way to go PQ! You're already at least half-way there by asking for help! Oooohhh! I can just here all that 100% cotton calling you....Ppppppp....QQQqqqqqqqqqqqq....PPPPPPPPppppp pppppp.....QQQQQqqqqqqqqqqqqqq!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Thats brilliant news Rebecca

DH gave up November last year with the assistance of patches. He's constantly telling everyone just how much he has saved. So much so he's even been able to buy a new car & still manages to save as well.
Your be amazed at just how much your sense of smell will improve too.

Think positive & your get there - if you get the urge I read somewhere to start doing something & within 2 mins you won't even remember that you were wanting a cigarette.

Good Luck I'll be thinking of you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tisha
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Good luck! You can do it!

Here Here

Tisha
Power Poster

It can be done.

You've already taken the first step - YOU WANT TO.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law were both several pack a day smokers and they both quit cold turkey. They had health issues that sort of forced the issue, but I never ever ever thought that either one would or could quit. They've both been non-smoking for several years now.

Some sort of reward system is good. If your budget is low, give yourself a star - for whatever time frame works for you.

I remember getting stars by my name when I was in grade school. Is that still done?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM

I'm here for you! I lived with a smoker for 7 years and I fear I will get cancer from his second hand smoke (wouldn't that be the ultimate revenge- we divorced ages ago).

Sending you hugs and prayers that you'll "stay on the wagon."
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Oh, Rebecca, any smoker can tell you it's not an easy thing to do, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. I for one smoked for well over 30 years, except when I was pregnant, and finally quit 2 1/2 years ago. I'm happy to report no humans or animals were harmed during my cessation period. :lol: Can't give you a miracle cure, but what helped me tremendously was visualization. It may sound a little hokie, but everytime I thought of a cigarette, smelled one or even saw someone with one, I would make myself take a few of the deepest breaths I could and visualize clean and healing air filling my lungs and then I would slowly exhale. It always took that knee-jerk reaction of needing a cigarette away. To this day I still have to do it occasionally when I get a whiff of one. Good luck to you, Lady. We're here for you.

Rebecca (a.k.a. Ducky)
Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM

OK, I have been down this road. First their is no one way to do it, distraction helps, but remember not to force yourself to do things you usually associate with smoking..... like don't take a long car ride if you are used to smoking in the car. For me it was sitting at a keyboard, I was so used to having that ash tray next to me.

My approach was to cut back gradually. I didn't so much say, OK, today is 12 cigarette day. I just made myself think about every smoke I had, how many times do you light up when you are doing something else. So I wouldn't smoke unless I could enjoy it since I knew my days were numbered. Eventually I was only having a few a day. From there it wasn't a long stretch to quitting. I also took up knitting... a lot. It was important for me to keep my hands busy. It has been about seven years for me.

My husband has been using Chantix for a few months now, he's not had a cigarette for about six weeks. He said to warn you about the weird dreams, I have heard that is common side effect.

More than anything you just have to want to be a non-smoker.
Good luck, if I can do it, anybody can do it, beleive me, I am weak.