Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm QUITTING and need your support >

I'm QUITTING and need your support

I'm QUITTING and need your support

Old 05-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Oh I am so PROUD of you!!!! I am not a smoker and never have been but I have my own issues with being overweight so I do understand the compulsion to do something you know is bad for you.
Over eating is hard to control in that food is not something you can just stop using!!

Good for you!!! I hope and pray you make a clean break from smoking that will last the rest of your life!!

YOU CAN DO IT! Praying for you to succeed to get this "monkey" off your back!!

DITTO GIRL YOU CAN DO IT.... :wink: :wink: I also know how you feel Rhonda
Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Rebecca, you certainly have my support and best wishes!

Congratulations upon your decision to quit smoking. My parents smoked the whole time I was growing up and I actually believed that car rides caused headaches. Every time we went anywhere, they both lit up and I got a headache.

After a nasty bout with pneumonia, my mother finally quit too. This was before a lot of the drugs that are available now. She chewed nicotine gum and that helped her. She lived for nine more years only to die of lung cancer. I so hope you can avoid that!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Good for you! I qit back in '84 a month after my Dad passed @ age 69. He was always "bugging" me to quit.. so, it was 'this one's for you, Dad!" I substitued plain ice tea. I found that I wasn't hooked on the cigs - just the MOTION of reaching for one. Most of them sat in the ash tray merrily burning away... I can't wait to see all the fabric and quilts you'll be making. goooooo girl.......
Old 05-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Hang in there, the first few weeks are the hardest. It was amazing how many things I associated with smoking - coffee, driving, talking on the phone, on and on and on... My substitute was honey-wheat pretzels the same size and shape of a cigarette. I was so b****y that something being in my fingers would soothe my sense od deprivation.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:32 PM

You CAN do it!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM

I have heard that if you take deep baths in water with lots of epsom salts in it, the nicotine will diffuse out of you into the bath, lessening the urges. I think you have to have more than one bath! Never having been a smoker, I can't validate this in any way but would be curious to know if it actually works.

I have a LOT of respect for ex-smokers. I can't even imagine how hard it must be.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

went thru this with hubby in 91. We both believe, now, that he is completely disabled, that he probably wouldn't be here at all, if he hadn't quit, back then.
He quit, bc he wanted to. He was 41 and had smoked since about 14 years old.
I encouraged him to wean off, and at the same time, they had a company come in where he worked, and he paid 100.00 for program, with the promise, that if in one year, if he was still abstinent, he would get every penny back.
So, he started cutting back, and started program, and here we went.
I wish they had a product back then, to have made it easier for him, bc he was a real bear, but he stuck it out. We had some scary conversations, during this three weeks, believe me, but he had his mind made up, and we survived. He has not smoked one cigarette since.
He worked in a place, that we believe caused his disability, but, since he has emphysema now, stopping smoking, when he did, was probably a lifesaver.
He just lost a brother to cancer, this past September. I hear that cigarettes are almost 50.00 a carton now. Depends on brand, I guess.
I applaud you, and you did the right thing, to ask all of your friends to support you. You come on here, and just post away...mad, glad, sad, depressed, p. o'd,...you'll need somewhere to vent, and we are here.
We will listen to you vent, and not judge. I would be the last, I have seen the many phases, but with this Chantix, it may be a whole lot easier than hubby had it. You are going to be so proud of yourself!
Take it one day at a time, and yes, remove all temptation, and have lots of sugarfree gum and candies, to satisfy your oral habits, etc.
Hubby did that, and it helped a lot. WAY TO GO, PQ!!! :wink:
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Rebecca I know quitting is a very hard thing to do......but you made the right choice. Best of luck to you. I'm VERY proud of you! I'm here if you need me.
Sewhappy57 - Terry
Old 05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
when you quit, we'll all do the happy dance for you. how's that for support?

then you'll need some support to keep from falling down laughing.

Hey, B, where are your marigolds? lol! :lol:

I just want to applaud each and every person on here, that quilt. well done!

We will do the happy dance for you...with marigolds of course.
This is a clean group...no nekid-ivity here, LOL
Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Don't let us down! You can do it. I did and I thought I would never ever quit. Honestly it was over a year after I quit that I stopped thinking about smoking. After the nicotine addiction leaves in a few weeks, it's the process of smoking that is hard to let go. I became very angry, at what exactly I don't know. I wore the patch, sometimes two at a time. It worked. the patch made my arm hurt hurt like heck but I didn't smoke. Doctor said better to have a hurt arm then rotten lungs. Watch what you eat too. That's a whole other thing. I'm ver proud of anyone that overcomes the nicotine habit. Believe me it's a personal thing to know you did it. I'm so happy you are doing this. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D