June weight loss

Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Irish I hope you have an uneventful recovery. Behave yourself and don't try to do too much. After surgery is one of the few times I do behave. I finally got to get rid of my crutch yesterday. Woo Hoo! I am so glad to get rid of it. My knee feels really good as long as I don't try to bend it too far. I of course have exercises to do 2x a day and ice it 3x. I am working on the bending a lot. The PT is working on my gait. She says I have evidently been limping for so long it has become my natural walk and we need to change. I have to concentrate every time I take a step. I am planning on walking up the street and back tomorrow. I leave for Hilton Head in less than 2 weeks and I want to be able to walk on the beach.
I got a phone call from my principal today and a letter from school saying that I will be transferring to a different building next year. I will be following the 3 kids I worked with last year. I know several people there so I guess it will be fine. I will miss everyone where I was.
I received a FQ from mjmachin today.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM

If only .... it was as easy to come off as it was to put it on.
If only ..... it was true that the more I exercise the more I lose.
If only .... the fat would just go away.

I've worked for the last 2 days in the yard trying to get all the stuff that has taken over down to a managable bit ... and **&^%* if I didn't gain 4 lbs! .... and I hurt so much that sleeping is not comfortable.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 PM

That's a bummer, Mary. I hope you see some progress real soon.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 AM

Hugs to all our fallen soldiers !
I had carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday and hemmed two pair of slacks Monday. Yesterday I did binding all day. easy peasy. I did not have anesthesia because I left mom home alone and was in a tearing hurry to out. Arrived at 6:45 AM was home by 8:30.

Yoga ideas. Have you heard of restorative yoga? You use bolsters and blankets to lean over or rest the joint on and just slowly relax into the post getting the same good from for active yoga. I've been through every yoga dvd on the planet , My favorite is Restorative yoga practice with Deborah Donohue. she wears a lycra body suit so you can see where the props need to be in order to get the right stretch. Two other gentle yoga practices are Yoga Therapy Prescriptions with Laura Hawes and Yoga for stress Relief with Barbara Benaugh.

My fitbit step recorder is whining, I think I broke a bone in my left foot but since I know there isn't anything to be done about that sort of break I've just got it wrapped and am carrying on as usual, with less walking. One thing I've learned over the years, exercise is good for all our parts, but not so much for losing weight. At my weight 30 minutes of dancing only burns 162 calories. 1-1/2 slices of bread... Here's a chart http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup

I don't say that to discourage any of us from getting out of our chairs, but just to remind myself it is the elbow bending, hand to mouth that counts in the end.

hugs and power to us all, Sharyn
Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 AM

thanks Sharyn, I'll look into restorative yoga ... and you say it all so eloquently.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM

My first born daughter is doing a major weight loss. She just told me that at every 10 pound loss, she buys herself a present! Last week she bought a shower curtain with the periodic tables on it. She said she spends so much time in the bathroom, she might as well be learning something! Is that a neat idea or what?? So here I am- instead of facing the whole long road, I'm thinking WOW- 2 more pounds and I get to buy me a present! (Probably not a shower curtain.) What a good idea. Thank you, Andrea. Love that kid.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM

good for her! we sometimes forget that small pleasures really do last just as long as big expensive pleasures.
I'm going to try to remember to take my camera when I walk tomorrow, so you can see what I'm seeing. Walking together by distance
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Ooh! Maybe some fabric for every 10 lb loss! Actually, for me just seeing that middle number go down is pretty rewarding for me.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
. . .
Yoga ideas. Have you heard of restorative yoga? You use bolsters and blankets to lean over or rest the joint on and just slowly relax into the post getting the same good from for active yoga. I've been through every yoga dvd on the planet , My favorite is Restorative yoga practice with Deborah Donohue. she wears a lycra body suit so you can see where the props need to be in order to get the right stretch. Two other gentle yoga practices are Yoga Therapy Prescriptions with Laura Hawes and Yoga for stress Relief with Barbara Benaugh.

hugs and power to us all, Sharyn
Yes, I've heard of it, Sharyn. We've done some of those poses in my classes and I really like them. I love the resting poses in yoga and good stretches. Not so much for the things like sun salutations!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM

I did take my camera today but the fog was lying in and the wildflowers weren't pretty. I did see a pretty perky coyote in the neighbor's field, and a bald eagle pair flew about 20 feet over my head. amazing, and a great walk. 2000 steps