Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please? >

Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please?

Kitchen Reno dilema - opinions please?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 AM

We had similar issues with our old kitchen. The old cabinets had the most ghastly, oversized handles smack dab in the middle of the cabinet doors... No one ever used them, and all the doors had corners where the finish, and part of the wood had worn off from handling.
When my husband built cabinets and remodeled the kitchen... We chose simple metal knobs for our cabinet and drawer fronts. We find that we always use the knob because it is convenient to use and in the right spot. Our garbage can is on a roll out under the kitchen sink.
We used soft close roll out shelves for every lower cabinet and all the pantry shelves below eye level. Because we had lived in the house for 18 years, we knew how we used the kitchen an were able to make great design decisions based on that knowledge.
Good luck with your kitchen remodel. Hope you end up as happy as we are.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 AM

I have thought a garbage that was under counter but with hole cut out of countertop would be nice. Easy to use. Out of site. But handy. They are all over in restaurants and the like. My current trash is in a pullout cabinet style which is fine. But if I put a hole in top it would be sooo much better!!! Slide trash in. When full, open door to remove the can... maybe you could build in a box with 2 cutouts. One trash, one recycle. Oh, I also put in a trash compactor that we use for recycle. Open with foot. Really compacts our recycle!!!
When we remodeled I was the same way about dust. Was talked into simple cabinet front that would be "easy to care for". And I fell for it. When the dust settled and I had to clean I emailed the designer that helped and let her know how unhappy I was with the 73 little ledges I have to now dust!!! I can send a photo of what we have if you are interested. I would do same style but omit that piece. I also hung my bar stools from the island. Much easier to sweep floor! Love my kitchen!!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 AM

Go with a trash compactor. It fits under the counter but no wood doors to open. Wish I had one in the home we're in. I've had them in two other homes. They also help keep kitchen odors from garbage down.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
I have thought a garbage that was under counter but with hole cut out of countertop would be nice. Easy to use. Out of site. But handy..........
..... see my earlier comments about the realities of the "hole" ......
Another thought about it ... the amount of counter space that is lost, because of the hole.
And the added fear of something accidentally falling in!

I think what you are meaning re your ledges is the flat front door, with a layer of wood around it that sticks out about 1/4"? Yes, they are miserable for cleaning ..... I have that style in my bathroom. Never again!

GemRM ... thinking about this some more, and the cupboards I have had and what were cleaning nightmares! Look for ones with some softer curves on the trimmings, and for shallow indents/nooks and crannies. The deeper the cut or the sharper the angle, the more difficult it is to keep clean.

Also, consider the colouring and finish of your cabinetry .... what will camouflage the dust or disturbances of it better? and what will show every grease speck! Not saying that you are not a good housekeeper, but the easier they are to keep clean, the happier you (and your non-cleaning-husband!) will be ............. with more time for sewing!!

A thought for the wife/husband disagreements re home renos .... do you get to design his man-cave? workshop? etc. If that is mentioned, then the men-folk might see the point, and understand why you have your reasons as to what is important to you when doing renos.

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-26-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 AM

When my parents built our house - early 60's - my dad built the kitchen (and bathroom) cabinets. All the doors were push to open, push to close. I don't know if they still make those kind of closures but I imagine you could find something like that; they were totally smooth; just the outer edges. No groves, or handles or indentations.
On the trash container; if you can find someone who works with wood, find a plastic trash the size you wan and can you have a wooden container made for it to sit in; with a hinged lid. My brother in law made mine eons ago; still working and going strong. That way you might only have to vacuum out the wooden part occasionally; I put a plastic trash bag in the plastic trash can. Works perfect. My wooden container is 11 inches deep; 21 inches tall (with the lid) and 17 1/2 inches wide. The lid has 2 hinges on the back with a 1/2 inch over lap on the sides and front so no need for a handle. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
Here's the basic info to start:

We're planning to renovate our kitchen, including removing some wall areas, re-facing some cupboards and getting some new ones to match. We're also replacing the countertop, flooring and possibly the stove.

Our current cupboards are pine, over 20+ years old and desperately need some care and updating.

Issue #1:
I want cupboards with a "cleaner " finish, one without a lot of ledges that collect dust and dirt. I'd be happy with wood, but not with grooves or ledges. DH wants a more traditional door style, but they all come with those pesky ledges and grooves. He also insists on wood. We haven't been able to find a common ground here, so I'm open to any suggestions someone has... DH didn't see the humour in my response when he said what he wants, that he could have that door style if he dusts them weekly. ( He doesn't do any housework)

Issue #2:
I want a garbage can (with a lid of some sort) in an open area of the kitchen, not under a counter, hidden behind a door. My reason for this is that our current kitchen has the garbage hidden under the kitchen sink, and that door is the most damaged one in the kitchen, because both of us touch the door with wet hands when going for the garbage, - I know we won't be able to change this habit, so I'm looking to preserve the investment in new cupboards by limiting touching them with wet hands. DH insists that the kitchen will not have a garbage can out in the open.
Suggestions anyone????

We take forever to get any plans for any home renovation agreed to, and while we don't argue, we just put off the project when we reach a road block between us. I'd like to get this kitchen stuff sorted out so we can actually use the kitchen in our lifetime..... so please, sound off with any ideas that may provide a solution.
We bought a nice looking brushed metal waste can and put it out in the open as well. We had the can hidden under the sink area the the area inside took a beating...stuff was always showing up on the inside walls and floor. Much better now. ..The can outside does have a nice lid that open by a lever on the bottom of the can. I never thought I wanted a can that could be seen either...but whatever.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 AM

I agree with you on the garbage can. In my kitchen on one corner the cabinet stops about 20 inches or so from the corner. (it was a way for them to build my house cheaper) I wasn't happy with it at first until I realized the garbage can fit there perfectly. When we put in new counter tops a few years ago, it has counter top above it but it is still in the open.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
............When we put in new counter tops a few years ago, it has counter top above it but it is still in the open.
Cleaver Idea!!!!
......... extra counter space, semi built-in, somewhat hidden, easy for cleaning, and totally accessible!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-26-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 AM

I had a short career (2 years post-retirement) designing kitchens for a big box store. I know exactly what you are talking about when you don't agree. I would not recommend cabinets made from a non-wood product, but there are many durable finishes available today for wood, and some of them include paint finishes. If you like a paint finish go for the least costly wood. Shaker style cabinets would be a good compromise to your "no ledges", though there is still one ledge near the bottom of each door. Some cabinet makers offer absolutely smooth doors. If you choose this I would recommend a high contrast between cabinet and countertop colors or the room could be really boring. Have you considered using a trash compactor instead of a garbage can? At least I think they are still available. I had them in 2 houses I lived in and they were wonderful as long as they weren't overloaded. Trash compactors have a foot lever to open them so your hands never have to touch the door. I am in a new house now with no compactor, and I like my trash at the end of the cabinet closest to the sink. In addition to not having to open a cabinet, it allows me to move the can closer to where I'm working when needed, like when I make a dozen loaves of banana bread. You could also consider leaving an open space between cabinets but under the countertop, which would reduce the visual impact of the garbage can, but still leave it accessible. My pennies worth, offered for free.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a handy place for your floor cleaning and maintenance equipment and supplies?

Broom, dustpan, mop - whatever you use -

Also convenient places for things like potholders, dishcloths, and towels.

I wish my kitchen had a "coffee area" because my DH seems to be doing something with his coffee a lot of the time.

If you have your own produce - garden, orchard, whatever - a place to hanle that.

Are you a person tbat likes completely bare counters or do you prefer fo leave your toaster and coffee maker out?

Electrical outlets ? Shelves for cookbooks?

I think it would be nice to have sinks in two parts of the kitchen - a cooking sink - and another one for " whatever."

Last edited by bearisgray; 02-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.