Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving.  Do you regret getting rid of stuff?  Or regret keeping stuff? >

Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff?

Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Default Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff?

Regarding clothing, I've already donated all of the stuff I know I will never wear. Looking at the rest, I think I am ready to give away at least 2/3rds of what is left. These include nice clothing that I simply don't wear because we never go out to places where I would wear them (concerts, parties) and clothing I have outgrown (for the last 10, 20, 30 or so pounds). I would keep maybe two complete dress-up outfits. I have many single pieces -- skirts, tops, pants, scarves -- that really don't go together. My daughter talked me into some of the dressier clothes she likes to wear, but I never feel comfortable in them.

Anyway, I think I'm okay with giving away a lot more clothing.

It's the quilting that I wonder about. I've already packed up a trunkful of boxes full of sewing items, magazines and fabrics to give away (planning to give to a Project Linus group locally). But I still have a couple of bookcases full of books and magazines, more fabrics than I can probably ever sew in my remaining lifetime, etc. I am wondering if I will regret digging deeper into this stuff, even though some of it I haven't looked at in 5 years.

I know that no one can really make the decisions for me, but I am wondering what some of you who have been there - done that can advise, looking back.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Regarding clothing, I've already donated all of the stuff I know I will never wear. Looking at the rest, I think I am ready to give away at least 2/3rds of what is left. These include nice clothing that I simply don't wear because we never go out to places where I would wear them (concerts, parties) and clothing I have outgrown (for the last 10, 20, 30 or so pounds). I would keep maybe two complete dress-up outfits. I have many single pieces -- skirts, tops, pants, scarves -- that really don't go together. My daughter talked me into some of the dressier clothes she likes to wear, but I never feel comfortable in them.

Anyway, I think I'm okay with giving away a lot more clothing.

It's the quilting that I wonder about. I've already packed up a trunkful of boxes full of sewing items, magazines and fabrics to give away (planning to give to a Project Linus group locally). But I still have a couple of bookcases full of books and magazines, more fabrics than I can probably ever sew in my remaining lifetime, etc. I am wondering if I will regret digging deeper into this stuff, even though some of it I haven't looked at in 5 years.

I know that no one can really make the decisions for me, but I am wondering what some of you who have been there - done that can advise, looking back.
The last time I moved, I didn't have the massive amount of "hobby related stuff" I do now. But I hope the next move, I will look forward to it as a chance for a new start, disposing of a lot of the fabric, patterns, etc. I have accumulated. I mostly try to work from my current inventory of fabric, but sometimes think how nice it would be to go out and find something new to work with. So in my opinion, I would sell or donate as much as you can before you move. It is a strong motivating factor that only comes around in a major change like a move.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I have a stack of stuff I want to sell on QB but just not enough time in the day to take photos, weigh the fabric and see what the postage rates are, they have changed again, correct?? I did give most of my sewing patterns to a resale store that has a important cause to assist abused women.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:29 PM

I've moved several times. And gotten rid of lots of fabric, books and crafty items. And a good lot of it, I have never thought of again. There have only been a few select things I wish I had kept. But, that was several years ago and I've done just fine without it. It really is up to you. I can't stand clutter. I crave order and everything in its place. So, it was a no brainier for me. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Clothes I would have no problem getting rid off. Fabric I couldn't do as the prices keep going up and my stash keeps me sewing.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 PM

It made me feel really good to clean out many items that no longer made me happy. I can't think of a single thing I wish I had kept. Start with some of the things you really don't want and see if you don't feel "lighter". Stuff can weigh you down.

When we cleaned out my mother-in-law's closet I counted over 100 pairs of black pants. You will be doing your relatives a great service by cleaning out now. Think of it as a gift to them.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 PM

I have been donating on a regular basis to linus and I have never regretted getting rid of any thing so far. If it is out of sight it should be out of mind.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM

So far, I've kept most of the quilting stuff. I'm working on a quilt now that will be completely made out of stash. That feels so great! My family knows that my quilting and knitting are important to me so they have helped me find ways to store things in the new place. (We downsized and moved in July).
Old 04-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

when we moved in here 6 yrs ago, i really downsized the cloths. I'm disabled so i'm not wearing dressy cloths anymore. if i need it, i'll go buy one outfit, thats what i did.

fabric, i kept the stuff i couldn't part with, and rebuilt the stash. got rid of alot of little pieces. good luck.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 PM

I think I could get rid of all books and magazines as the internet has more than I would ever need with more all the time, cloths if they do not fit or I do not wear them, keep one or two nice dressy outfits, I am a great talker but not such a great doer! LOL Good Luck!