My mother has a question!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM

My mother just called...she has a question. Her husband, my step, has a daughter and her husband coming to visit tomorrow (Thurs). This daughter is actually his stepdaughter --the daughter of his deceased wife. They'll be visiting until Tuesday next week. On Monday, my mother's former boss and good friend will be coming thru town ---first time she's seen them in 2 yrs. Stepdad doesn't want mom to meet them for breakfast. Stepdad is invited, but he refuses -- says it's rude to leave his guests. It wouldn't bother me if someone did that, explaining these other plans had been made -- tentatively -- months earlier. They knew boss was coming, just didn't know for sure when.

Do you think she's wrong to go and have breakfast with them????
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
My mother just called...she has a question. Her husband, my step, has a daughter and her husband coming to visit tomorrow (Thurs). This daughter is actually his stepdaughter --the daughter of his deceased wife. They'll be visiting until Tuesday next week. On Monday, my mother's former boss and good friend will be coming thru town ---first time she's seen them in 2 yrs. Stepdad doesn't want mom to meet them for breakfast. Stepdad is invited, but he refuses -- says it's rude to leave his guests. It wouldn't bother me if someone did that, explaining these other plans had been made -- tentatively -- months earlier. They knew boss was coming, just didn't know for sure when.

Oh - this is only the 2nd time this daughter has visited them in 17 years.

Do you think she's wrong to go and have breakfast with them????
oops I meant to edit - not quote!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Absolutely not. Since the stepdaughter is staying from Thursday through Tuesday, it's fine to step out for a couple of hours. There's nothing that says your parents have to spend every waking moment with the stepdaughter and her hubby, so they should definitely go for the breakfast.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM

I agree...it is not wrong. The plans were made a long time ago..and you don't have to change your previous plans.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Maybe present the time to visiting the former boss as a time for "DH" to "bond" alone with daughter and hubby. Or is DH afraid he might have to do something about breakfast for them?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Absolutely go for the breakfast. It is only breakfast after all. When I'm someone's guest I do not expect them to spend every minute with me. In fact, I appreciate some time to myself.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Good grief, adults do not need to be babysat. Life is far to short to miss any part of it. Go! have fun and enjoy!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Can the boss be invited to their home for breakfast? A happy medium, keep peace in the family?
It sounds like he is afraid to make any waves with his daughter, especially since this is only her second visit. Is he afraid that her feelings will be hurt? Without knowing their past history, is he wanting this visit to go smoothly in hopes that they will come more frequently to visit?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

It might be dicey if the breakfast with your old boss was the day after they arrive but by Monday morning they'll be at your mother's for several days. Your Mom should tell them they should make themselves at home and, as someone suggested, so they can have some special bonding time. Your DH could tell them that he has someplace special he is taking them on Monday morning. May in Jersey
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Couldn't they all go out for breakfast?