Is it offensive?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 AM

i'd like to ask your opinion on Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays. I'm very respectful that people celebrate different holidays, have different religious views and have personal beliefs that make them who they are - that goodness for that as it makes the world an interesting place.

I am not a religious person, just someone who grew up celebrating Christmas as our december holiday. So, I'd like to ask is Merry Christmas offensive or is Happy Holidays offensive or, is neutralizing the holiday to a happy holiday really an insult to both parties since neither can feel free to express who they are.

what's a person to do?

Here's my thought. Those who are offended by someone giving them a wish of happiness or merriment should not be offended and just simply say "thank you". Wouldn't that be the good manners that our parents taught us?

I have a good friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas, before she became by good friend I wished her a Merry Christmas, and she said, thank you for the good wishes, I'm Jewish so I wish you a a happy Hanukkah. We both laughed, but the spirit of our good wishes for each other was not lost in the choice of what holiday one choose to celebrate.

what do you guys think?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I'm right there with you on this one.The way I look at it is whatever is said just means you want to wish a person happiness, good cheer etc.
I'm PC about some things but I never understood the offense people take at this time of year.
I take whatever someone says as a kindness and answer accordingly!!- like, thank you!!! :D
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 AM

I have a good friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas, before she became by good friend I wished her a Merry Christmas, and she said, thank you for the good wishes, I'm Jewish so I wish you a a happy Hanukkah. We both laughed, but the spirit of our good wishes for each other was not lost in the choice of what holiday one choose to celebrate.

You and your friend have it right! You are both being who you are and that is the best it gets. Good for you and Merry Christmas and a blessed and prosperious New Year. No one should be offended at honesty.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Banned

When I worked in the food business my cousin was waiting tables two days before christmas and wrote "happy holidays" on the back of their bill. They flipped out on her, they don't celebrate holidays. I thought they were just being mean. Why not just say thanks. All it means is you wish them well and you took the time to say so. Some people are way to sensitive about this season. I would never be offended if someone said "happy kwanza" (I think I spelled it wrong) or anything that was not the usual for me. I would find that endearing and say thank you. I guess it all comes down to their true inner beauty and kindness. So I say from my life to yours, "Merry Christmas."
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 AM

I don't know when the "politically correct" police got involved but i believe whenever you wish someone happiness is should be okay no matter which phrase you use! Some celebrate and some don't but everyone could use a little good cheer these days :!: Happy Everything!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 AM

Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth. I always wish you Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Actually, both are correct if you think about it. "Holiday" is a substitue for "holy day" altho it's come to mean anything that's celebrated. So I think it's great when people wish me happy holidays or Merry Christmas-they're thinking of my happiness and Lord knows this world can use some more happiness --and some just plain common sense!
Peace & joy to all!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Jan, I'll take that peace with THANKS!! I need it :D:D
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I don't take offense to either one. What gets me is when I see Merry Christmas written as Merry X-mas as if they are trying to remove Christ completely from the picture. Now that's when I get mad.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 AM

If anyone wishes me happiness I'm all for it. If you're Jewish you can wish me Happy Hannukah, if you're Christian wish me Merry Christmas, if you don't know what you are, wish me Seasons Greetings. It's all good. It seems to me that Political Correctness should be to have a little diplomacy, politeness and good manners.

BTW, here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!