Oh PLEASE

Old 12-18-2010, 03:15 AM

It is the Saturday before Christmas and is snowing very heavily here in the UK. Might not be able to get down to our Daughters - about an hour and a half away - if it persists. Weather reports are not good and here in the UK we just never seem to cope as in countries where they ALWAYS get loads of snow - but manage to get it right. !!
To top it all I have been feeling horrid all week and then yesterday it became very apparent I have shingles. It is SO painful -- so I am feeling very sorry for myself !!!!!! Started some medication yesterday which should calm things down in a day or two. I don't even feel like sewing -- not like me at all.
Hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy, Healthy and PIECEFUL New Year.
Kind Regards,
Dot.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 AM

Dot--
I'm sorry to hear about your shingles. My aunt had them so I kind of know what you're going through. I hope your medicine makes you feel better quickly.
As for the snow, seems like we've all got it unfortunately. I'm in the midwest USA and we've already gotten our total for the whole season! And it's too *&^*& cold!
I hope everything improves for you in time to enjoy Christmas.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 AM

Shingles are nasty. I had them on my hand. Keep taking your medicine. So sorry you have to have that now over the holidays. Hopefully the snow lets up and you can be with family. Merry Christmas
Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 AM

I'm sorry about the shingles. I had it this fall and by the time they decided it was shingles and not a allergic rash of some sort, it was too late to take the Shingles medication. I had the rash for the full six weeks. While I wasn't sick, I was itchy. As for the snow, be safe. It isn't worth risking an accident just because it's Christmas. A Christmas dinner would taste just as good in the New Year when the weather has a chance to settle. You would also probably feel a lot better then.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD
It is the Saturday before Christmas and is snowing very heavily here in the UK. Might not be able to get down to our Daughters - about an hour and a half away - if it persists. Weather reports are not good and here in the UK we just never seem to cope as in countries where they ALWAYS get loads of snow - but manage to get it right. !!
To top it all I have been feeling horrid all week and then yesterday it became very apparent I have shingles. It is SO painful -- so I am feeling very sorry for myself !!!!!! Started some medication yesterday which should calm things down in a day or two. I don't even feel like sewing -- not like me at all.
Hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy, Healthy and PIECEFUL New Year.
Kind Regards,
Dot.
I had shingles 3 years ago. They are brought on by stress. Mine started the day after Easter. I was afflicted on my right side from right below my boob to my crotch and from belly button around to spine. I was in bed in horrible pain for 2 weeks and then very weak and hard to get around till May. I couldn't do anything because the meds made me so I couldn't read and about all I did was read. My DDIL came in to feed me and let the dogs out. I hope yours are not too bad. And I hope your snow stays in your part of the world. I normally love snow but not this winter, with the dog layed up with his ACL surgery. Try to have a "Pieceful Christmas" and a Merry one too. My thoughts are with you.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 AM

Hope you recover soon. They must be going around, my friend in California has them too. All the best. Stay safe during the holidays and all the best.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Aw, hugs! Get well soon....I have heard they are very painful!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Administrator

this, pirated from the Centers for Disease Control web page: "Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, a person with active shingles can transmit the virus that causes shingles, VZV, to a person who has never had chickenpox – but only through direct contact with the shingles rash. If a person who has never had chickenpox is infected with VZV, he or she will develop chickenpox, not shingles."

some websites for more information about shingles:

http://www.shinglesinfo.com/index.ht...WT.mc_id=SH03V

http://www.cdc.gov/features/shingles/

this is a link to some anectdotal discussion among shingles patients. several prescription mediations are mentioned along with a few over-the-counter products that some found useful.

http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/discussion-7.htm
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 AM

Sorry to hear of your woes! Shingles are nasty - I had them on my face, of all places. They were on the left side of my face... from the middle of my chin/lips, up across my cheek, into my hairline and down behind my ear. Definitely not fun!

:cry:

I just saw a report on CBC about your bad weather in the UK. What a mess you have over there!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Dot, sorry about your shingles.I too now am experiencing a rash all over and the itching is horrendous.I know as a nurse shingles are very painful.Can you take an oatmeal bath to soothe your skin?I thought it might help...One in awhile I get down physically and take a day to throw the covers over my head!Its my pity party.lol But you have real reason to not feel well..Take care, things will get better soon..