Scam alert1

Old 04-21-2017, 05:42 PM

I see several situations above that we have received calls about also. The one for IRS, the back brace. Another is the expired car warranty. We received one pretending that a grandson was involved in an accident, broke his nose, was drunk, didn't want to tell his dad because of embarrassment- Send money to pay jail bail bond. We called our son to 'tattle'. He got all dressed up to go to court; but, decided to call the son. Son answered his phone. Dad asked him where he was. Son said, Dad, "I'm at work." It was really scary because the pretended knew and name of the sheriff and the public defender in the town. These scams can be really convincing. I was not about to bite because I would never go behind one of my children's back to do something like this for a grandchild. We feel targeted by these calls because they are fairly frequent. So, we monitor the answering machine and only answer that phone (land line) if we recognize the number. I do appreciate caller ID!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Isn't it wonderful we get to pay these big phone bills so people can try to scam us?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM

this has been happening for some time. Yes...very sad that some people will fall for it.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I see several situations above that we have received calls about also. The one for IRS, the back brace. Another is the expired car warranty. We received one pretending that a grandson was involved in an accident, broke his nose, was drunk, didn't want to tell his dad because of embarrassment- Send money to pay jail bail bond. We called our son to 'tattle'. He got all dressed up to go to court; but, decided to call the son. Son answered his phone. Dad asked him where he was. Son said, Dad, "I'm at work." It was really scary because the pretended knew and name of the sheriff and the public defender in the town. These scams can be really convincing. I was not about to bite because I would never go behind one of my children's back to do something like this for a grandchild. We feel targeted by these calls because they are fairly frequent. So, we monitor the answering machine and only answer that phone (land line) if we recognize the number. I do appreciate caller ID!
Caller ID....The best invention ever.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
There's another one going around. I've had a couple of calls lately..."hello".."Hello, we are returning your call requesting more info about the back brace you saw on television that is medicare approved.. Please press 1 to talk to our rep and arrange for shipping." I've seen the advertisement, but never called anyone--had no reason to. I just hang up.
I actually called them when I got a post card. No one spoke English as a first language...as time went on I started questioning how they could bill Medicare since I gave them no info. He started changing the subject rapidly...he asked for my address I don't know how many times....he finally hung up..Haven't heard from him since.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 PM

I told them the last I knew, the IRS only hired people who could speak the correct English language. He hung ON ME, imagine that!!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 PM

When I get those calls I sometimes play along and then ask, Does your mother know what you are doing? She must be very ashamed of you. Usually they hang up after I ask about their mother.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I have caller I.D., if I don't know the name, I don't answer. If it is a legitimate call they can leave a message on the answering machine. I would not fall for the Grandkid one as I know where all of mine are.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM

I never answer either, unless I recognize the number. However, I did get into a very ornery mood one day and decided to pick up and play along--by playing young and dumb. After every question, I'd answer with something that made no sense. For example,

Him: Is this so-and so?
Me: I like broccoli.
Him: Pardon me, ma'am. Are you so-and-so?
Me: My uncle is a dentist. Do you floss your teeth?
Him: No, ma'am, but we are calling because there is a probably with your Microsoft computer and we would like to help. We just need a little information.
Me: My microwave works fine. What's your dog's name?

I carried on till they asked if my mommy was home. I said, "I don't know. You'll have to call her."

Just about couldn't keep from laughing , so thankfully he hung up.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I never answer either, unless I recognize the number. However, I did get into a very ornery mood one day and decided to pick up and play along--by playing young and dumb. After every question, I'd answer with something that made no sense. For example,

Him: Is this so-and so?
Me: I like broccoli.
Him: Pardon me, ma'am. Are you so-and-so?
Me: My uncle is a dentist. Do you floss your teeth?
Him: No, ma'am, but we are calling because there is a probably with your Microsoft computer and we would like to help. We just need a little information.
Me: My microwave works fine. What's your dog's name?

I carried on till they asked if my mommy was home. I said, "I don't know. You'll have to call her."

Just about couldn't keep from laughing , so thankfully he hung up.
You just made me laugh too much...if you know what I mean? The broccoli line killed me.