Scam alert1

Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Be careful who knows enough about you. A co worker gave her mean ex's info to a scam call. He never did find out how it happened to him.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:06 AM

My daughter just called (11:02 4/22/2017) and her neighbor told her she got a call about a loved one and in her search found out a lot of info is being gathered from genealogy lists. A lot of them are free and when browsing info about your family puts all kinds of info on the net. I guess nothing is safe anymore. I do a lot of geneology research and she was giving me a heads up.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 AM

Yes, me too! With cell phones, etc, you can also have a block call list. You can also use the Reverse phone number site to look it up. Any legitimate number will be identified, not "user does not wish to publish their identity" or whatever.
Its also handy to have a nickname like I do!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Saw this on the CBS News. Glad you called the police. It lets them know what areas are being hit.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I got a call years ago from a person who said I would get a prize if I could tell him the name of a southern state in which "A
was every other letter. I said it's Alabama. I'm still waiting for my prize.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM

Latest scam going on around here is the IRS one and one from the DMV.

The one from the so called Oregon DMV says the caller will inform you you owe DMV penalties, fees. And ask for immediate payment via a wire transfer etc.

Easy rule to remember.Never give out any info!

Also as a reminder:
There is a scam out there that is rather sneaky. The caller will ask "is this (insert name here)" and if you answer "yes", you open yourself up to possible identity theft.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Yes, me too! With cell phones, etc, you can also have a block call list. You can also use the Reverse phone number site to look it up. Any legitimate number will be identified, not "user does not wish to publish their identity" or whatever.
Its also handy to have a nickname like I do!
Our favorite telemarketer call is the one where we have won a free cruise! So far according to them we have about 15 cruises to go on. We just hang up, block them for 90 days and wait......lol
I won't press "1" to confirm and they give no option to opt out of unwanted calls.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM

I have had several of those calls and I just hang up. My DH and DD have worked for the IRS and I know they don't call you. Plus I know everything is ok with out taxes and they would have no reason to call in the first place. My DH reports the calls to the FBI.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM

I have gotten both the IRS and the Medicare calls - wish I wasn't so "popular". The IRS calls I hang up on. The "Medicare" calls - I asked for a call back number and they gave me a bogus one. Next time they called I told them I had reported them and the number on my caller id and the number they gave me to the fraud department of the police and medicare. That has been over a month ago and I haven't heard back from them. (And I really did report them.)

I had not thought about them recording me saying "yes" and will be very careful how I answer them in the future. (Thanks for that information, Cactus Stitchin!) Usually, though, if it is a number I don't recognize I don't answer. I figure it whomever is calling is legitimate, they will leave a message about what they want.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Some very clever and hilarious methods of dealing with these scammers here.

I love the panties questions, the foghorn, the Macaw, and the replacement Windows. I'm tempted to try those just for the fun of it. If I only had a Macaw...