Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
searching for advice on using cast iron grill pans >

searching for advice on using cast iron grill pans

searching for advice on using cast iron grill pans

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM

I was at Aldi's yesterday and found a cast iron grill pan for a decent price. I've seen them on the tv cooking shows and they seemed pretty interesting sobought it.

I've washed it warm soap and water and dried it completely the way the instructions that came with it say and sat on the stove. Now I don't know what to do with it.

The directions say to cook on low or med heat.

So advice please-how do you use your grill pan to get the best results?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I have always needed to season my cast iron before using them, other wise they tend to stick. :D:D:D
Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Mom used to do that with her skillets when we had camp fires, She'd smear the skillet with crisco and throw it in the fire and dig it out the next day.

How do you season your's?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Oil the pan and "cook" for few min s0 it "soaks" in. When done cooking wipe out w/ paper twel. Don't need to clean everytime. When u do wask mild soap and water. Put on stove and turn on to dry ott so it won't rust!! Season again. Don't use oven cleaner!!! Don't clean outside! Hope that helps!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Oil the pan and "cook" for few min s0 it "soaks" in. When done cooking wipe out w/ paper twel. Don't need to clean everytime. When u do wask mild soap and water. Put on stove and turn on to dry ott so it won't rust!! Season again. Don't use oven cleaner!!! Don't clean outside! Hope that helps!
When we bought our cast iron skillets last summer...the directions say just wipe out never wash but I WASH mine and that instead of using oil, to spray it with pan spray. So thats what I do, but, I notice that its not as "seasoned" as I would like.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:36 AM

to season you pan all you have to do is grease it with Crisco all over and put in a 300 degree oven for a few hours or overnight. If you have problems with things sticking in it put a layer of salt in it and burn it and that will help. In the beginning after you put in on the stove to dry you can spray it with oil and it'll help for the next time you cook with it. After alot of uses and several seasonings you won't have to worry about them being so tempermental and rusting. They will take any temp of heat you put at them. It is the best way to sear or blacken a steak.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM

I never use soap on mine! It ruins the "seasoning".
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 AM

My pans are as old as the hills as they say and after a pan is seasoned really well the soap doesn't hurt them. In the beginning after I dry them I put them on the burner to make sure they are dry and then spray them with oil.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by booklady
I never use soap on mine! It ruins the "seasoning".

Me either. I only "wash" it out with water, and dry it completely. I also leave it sit out overnight to dry very well before I store it. When you first start to cook something, make sure you let it heat up well, and that will help so it doesnt stick. It is definitly a process to get to them to the point where they dont stick....so dont give up. And as others mentioned, you may have to oil it and season it in the oven several times.
Also, never let them set with food residue in them. Always clean and dry them promptly. And look for older pans if you can. I think they are much better also.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by romanojg
to season you pan all you have to do is grease it with Crisco all over and put in a 300 degree oven for a few hours or overnight. If you have problems with things sticking in it put a layer of salt in it and burn it and that will help. In the beginning after you put in on the stove to dry you can spray it with oil and it'll help for the next time you cook with it. After alot of uses and several seasonings you won't have to worry about them being so tempermental and rusting. They will take any temp of heat you put at them. It is the best way to sear or blacken a steak.
DITTO...I have tons of cast iron..the newer stuff is NOT the same..if you scratch it you will see it rust before your eyes..because it is just pot metal underneath...so I watch vintage stuff at yard sales...
to season it good, I coat in crisco and throw on the BBQ grill and let it cook in...then put in a warm oven over night...