Smart Phones

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I haven't had much luck with cell phones, so I finally decided to just get one of the best smart phones out there, in the hope that I will like it enough to actually use it. Problem is, I can't really figure out how to use it.

(Last year, I took the advice of people on this board last and got a TracPhone. Loved the monthly renewal card instead of a plan commitment, hated the phone. It barely got a signal when everyone else's worked just fine. And the Internet was almost non-existent, and what I could get to was incredibly hard to use. Customer service/tech support was overseas and completely unhelpful.)

So this time I researched a bit and decided on one of the Androids, a Samsung Epic. It has one of those keyboards that pulls out. I can just about make a call.

1. If a call comes through while I'm on, I hear a ring but I don't know how to put one person on hold and answer the other call.

2. I tried to use Google, and it wanted my phone number and then said it wasn't correct (huh?) and wouldn't let me search anything except phone numbers.

3. I downloaded the Amazon Kindle (not that I want to do much e-reading, but if I'm stuck somewhere, it could be handy). When I tried to download a free book, though, it wanted me to set up an account and things got lost from there...

4. What if I'm reading and the phone rings? How do you answer without losing your place?

5. How do you keep from hitting the screen buttons or the buttons on the side of the phone when you want to change your hand position? I keep losing calls that way.

I don't know, I have a ton more questions. I guess my last one for now is, what kinds of phones do you all have, and how did you ever get comfortable with them?

(And why is it that I'm fine with computers and can't manage these @$#%& phones??!!)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 PM

I feel your pain! Have the same problems. I only use my phone mayyyyybe twice a day, and that is only if someone calls me. I guess I am showing my age,,,but these newfangled inventions drive me crazy!!! The funniest thing happened last week, my DD called me while I was out to lunch with a friend, and I accidently hit the speaker button....???? So my friend had to listen to her spouting off about her boyfriend because I don't even know where the speaker button is and could not turn it off....LOL
I do know how to text, it only takes me 10 minutes to type in OK!!! Oh my, can you just imagine what our great grandmothers would say about some of this stuff?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM

I would call where you purchased your phone or internet provider (you may need to stop in) to ask for some assistance for them to show you the features of the phone and how to use it. Keep stoping back in if you still have questions and need help. You might want to ask if they have a slower time of day when they could spend extra time with you, or have extra staff available.

Do you know anyone younger who might be willing to go over the phone and it's features and how to work everything?

It may be easier and faster to download the books from Amazon Kindle to your computer first, then transfer to your phone.

Just a few thoughts, good luck with the learning curve.

Pam M
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Agreed to taking it back. When I bought my htc with Droid the guy at the Verizon store spent 30-40 minutes helping me get things set up and download apps that I wanted. Made all the difference to me. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 PM

1. When the second call comes in, is there a button on your screen that says 'swap' ? If you push this button, it should place the current call on hold, and answer the second line. When you are done with the call, push 'end call' and the first caller should come back.

2. I am unsure why it would ask for your phone number for a google search.

3. To download books from the kindle or nook app, you need to have an account on file with those sites, even if the book is free.

4. It should save where you left automatically, and the app should resume once the call ends.

5. I only hold onto the phone by the edges/finger tips. These things are so thin though, it's hard. DH has a silicone/plastic case that goes over his and makes it thicker/easier to grasp.

Speaker phone is a big issue for me, too. If I hit it by accident and in public I ask for whoever I'm talking to 'to please wait a moment' until I get it turned off. We have Droid Incredibles and got them in November - I'm still getting used to it, but it takes time and tinkering around. Hope that helps.

ETA: I agree that you should go into the store so they can walk it through with you. That's the right thing for them to do, anyways.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM

The first day out with my Smart phone, it rang, I didn't know how to answer it, I had to call my daughter and ask.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
The first day out with my Smart phone, it rang, I didn't know how to answer it, I had to call my daughter and ask.
OMG, I have to find out how, myself! I admit I've had the thing for days now and haven't even kept it turned on.

To all who suggested going back to the store, I've been back once already. The thing is, I can't drive over every time I have a question. Yes, I know I can save up the questions.

Trisha, the speaker was the one thing I was able to figure out without trouble, but lol, I share your pain!

ErinMarie, I'll look for a Swap key, thanks.

milp04, transferring downloads from my computer to the phone would be a whole 'nother level of skill... but I'll give it a try.

NEW QUESTION: A case would make it easier to hold, but it has a pull-out keyboard. The cases I've seen are meant to stay on and aren't easy to remove, and I'd have to remove them to use the keyboard.

It does have an on-screen keyboard, but I'm hopeless at using it. The keys are too close together, it won't let me use a stylus or pen, and my fingers always hit the wrong ones.

Thanks to those who have responded!