Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's so wrong with being a homebody? >

What's so wrong with being a homebody?

What's so wrong with being a homebody?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 PM

I agree that there's nothing wrong with being a homebody. Buy I think that we need to be aware that there's a fine line between being a loner and being depressed. As long as we are healthy and don't cross that line, then we are ok.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM

I work in a very busy office, I am the oldest one. I have to work very hard to keep up with the younger people and I am tired at the end of the day. I love coming home to my husband and quite. I really don't want to talk to anyone, I just like to be quite and get myself centered. So I can do it again the next day. Some people just don't know how to be comfortable with themself. I would not listen to what other people say. If you are happy that is what it is all about.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Why do most people tell me I need to "get out" more? What does that mean, anyway? Because they do I should?

I've always been a loner, socially awkward, much prefer to be doing my own thing. After I divorced I spent my time raising my kids and as you may know, the single person doesn't mesh well with couples.

Fast forward 17 years and I still prefer to be home, or doing things by myself. Not including time I spend with the kids and family, I just really have no friends, but that never bothered me because I have never really had many, and I have so many interests that I prefer.

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm perfectly fine with me, I'm just tired of trying to convince everyone else. I feel like they don't believe me. Maybe they just don't know me that well. Or maybe they would like to? hmmm...
For many reasons, my husband and I are now socially isolated except for visits with our 3 offspring (who live nearby) and internet communication with family and old friends, most of whom live far away. This is something we have BECOME over time and through circumstances, but we are now accustomed to it and it is therefore what we are comfortable with.

I see nothing odd about the fact that you are content all by yourself. It's certainly not a bad thing!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM

I, too, prefer my own company most of the time. I pick and choose when and where I go and with whom I spend my precious time. I love having choices, and I exercise my options.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

I know just what you mean. The people I work with think I need someone to make me complete. I don't. I enjoy my solitary time and I love taking care of my kids. I'm happy, just like you.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM

I like to just stay home and do my own thing....my sister n law just does understand why I dont get out more...she is always on the go and thinks everyone else should be also. I am just happy being by myself..so dont think you are a odd duck alot of us dont have to be going to be happy.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 PM

How comforting to know that we can fill our days with ourselves rather than needing other people to provide entertainment.

Personally, I like providing my own validation.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 PM

I work full time, and I do on occasion attend quilt group meetings. I am not adverse to vacationing, I LOVE travel and wish I could do more. I am thrilled to visit family and be social and enjoy events with my few girlfriends, none of whom are local.

BUT. On my day off, or weekend off or after work? On a day to day consistent basis?? Home. I secretly LOVE the week my husband works 4-12 midnight, and get a bit upset if I end up working late the same days he is, because that week is "mine"...Icecream for dinner if I want,, just me and the kitties, putzing, quilting, reading....
I can handle a 2 hour schmooze at an art gallery once a month... but beyond that....give me peace and quiet and my own time...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 PM

At work I have to deal with people all day long. So my weekends and my nights are mine. I am very selfish with my free time and I prefer to do the things I want to do. I have no problem spending time by myself or going out to dinner alone.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM

I work with people all day long too...the majority of them are cranky...they're either moving and disorganized and wanting me to fix their problems (NOT in my job description!) or they're SUPER organized and cranky because policy doesn't allow me to work with their plan...
Then there are those that can't afford to pay their storage bill and are in danger of losing their stuff...

If it wasn't for William, who still loves people even dealing with all of this too....I'd never leave once I got home! In fact...if I didn't HAVE to work, I'd be home all of the time...between the two of us, William is the social butterfly...