Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's so wrong with being a homebody? >

What's so wrong with being a homebody?

What's so wrong with being a homebody?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM

I think that I've just been hurt 1x too many by "friends" to really care anymore about making another "best friend". I'm a very self sufficient person...everyone who knows me says that I was born too late...I would've made it being a pioneer woman! lol! I could take the loneliness of not having close neighbors. to be honest I have my dh and even though he's gone all week we talk every night (thank goodness for free minutes!) and I have the kids and I ahve my hobbies. I am just perfectly content at home.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I enjoy getting out and seeing and doing new things. But I want to do those things alone. I don't like having someone with me. DH doesn't like going and doing as much as I do so he loves that I don't mind him not coming along. I go on trips alone to quilt shows during the year. I love being around people when I get where I'm going.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM

I love nothing more (ok maybe my husband) then being home. Even at 34, whenever we don't sleep at home, or even when we are gone all day (Yesterday we did way too much runing around!) one or the other will say how much we can't wait to be home. What ever makes you happy is what I say!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM

My husband calls me a "Hermit!" I love my peace and quiet, and can go for long periods of time without leaving the house. I even hate having to go kill the grocery beast and drag it home, but there is a fabric store on the way...seems to make the trip much more bearable!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM

After college, my friends started getting married, then having children. Despite my best efforts, and as someone said earlier, singles and couples don't mix well. My friends basically put our relationship on "hold" for twenty years so I learned to do without them. They're children are now grown and they're reaching out. That's fine but it will be on my terms (guess that's resentment; will have to work on getting rid of it; that's not usually me).

Now, after all those years of being alone, I've met someone. We do very well together but we've found we each need our Saturday to get our own stuff done. He goes off to work on his kid's house and, I go to breakfast at a place where they know me, won't rush me, while I read my book. It's my re-charge time from work and everything else.

There's nothing wrong with being a homebody along, again, as someone said, it's not depression. Face it, that big world out there takes energy and isn't always the friendliest place!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Make that "their" children. Good grief.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

I didn't know there was suppose to be something wrong with being a homebody! I prefer to be home and will find excuses to not leave here on the weekends. Love having people over and will host family and friends often. Better they come here than I leave. And it makes me stop sewing and clean house once in awhile :) I know people that are so much on the go it is crazy. So stressful and busy, busy, busy. Yup! I much prefer the slow lane!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM

When I was young I preffered to stay home....read...crafts...keep my own company. After I got married and had children solcializing became a "must".... parents groups....bus stop moms.... football games and that sort of "fun" stuff. These days the kids are grown... and I work with the public 10 hours a day. That is more then enough. When I get home I want to be home. I enjoy it. I have thought of joining the local quilt guild but in truth I would rather be home quilting and stop by this board to visit.

DH is definately the social butterfly of the two of us. I try for his sake to be more "out going" but I really like to be home. It is where I am the happiest.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Being at home a lot is fun and there are so many things to do at home. I have gardening, sewing, drawing, watercolors, an crafts, reading, music and just plain relaxing on the back porch here at home.

I walk my dog and exercise at the local gym, being busy is really quite nice and I don't miss being around people that much at all, since I was an office worker for twenty years and got my fill of people then.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 AM

So glad someone brought this subject up. I have spent my life trying to "fit in". It was torture for me when I was married and had to go out and dine with hubby's clients. I did get better after awhile. But I really am happiest being in my sewing room, working on a quilt, by myself. I have 5 permanent 4 legged critters in the house and my fosters, usually puppies, so I have plenty of "company". People just confuse me. I never know how they are going to react to things. So I guess I am antisocial, stuck up , etc too. That's fine with me now. It just took me 57 years to get that way. LOL