Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st time machine quilter questions. >

1st time machine quilter questions.

1st time machine quilter questions.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 PM

I tried pin basting and big stitches and finally tried spray basting. By far my favorite method. If you don't have a big area on the floor or a table (which I don't), you can do a little at a time, or use a design wall to hold it up for the process. I use a flannel backed picnic tablecloth for my design wall, flannel side out, pinned to the wall. The falannel acts as a clingy area to hold up the fabrics/backing. I pin the backing on it, wrong side out, spray it, and add the batting. Smooth it out, pin (thumbtack) the batting too, to give it a little extra hold, then spray and add the top. smooth it out, let it dry and there ya go! Be sure to have ventilation and put newspapers or a drop cloth down to catch any over spray.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 PM

Hi, I found this video on how to sandwich a quilt top on a small table and thought that you may found it interesting and helpful..www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
Old 10-31-2016, 06:46 PM

If you haven't tried spray basting yet, I urge you to give it a try. After I have the quilt sandwiched, if it is a little off kilter, I find I can shift the fabric (either the backing or the quilt top, which ever is needed) by smoothing it repeatedly in one direction with my hands. You have to do this purposefully; it's not likely to shift on its own.
My kitchen bar area is long and wide. So far I have been able to sandwich the quilts I make on it. But I have used the basement floor, too. If I have to use the floor again, I will borrow my DH's knee pads.
Don't stretch the bottom fabric, just smooth it out. It all has to ease and settle together, and stretching tightly will make the other layers wrinkle once the stretched fabric is released.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 PM

I'm happy now - it's sandwiched! I used the method in the video suggested by quiltlady1941, laying on a table, and it was fun. I will start the quilting as soon as I get the courage.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM

I pin baste my sandwiched quilt, but you do need to find a large table space to do this. Does your area have a community hall? I have friends who go to the hall and use the tables there when they need to pin their quilts. The first time you pin baste you will want someone to show you how to do it properly.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:40 AM

I used safety pins, I think about 200 pins but could have put them closer together if I hadn't run out. I thought it would hurt my hands but it didn't. I used the method in the video and taped 4 chopsticks to the table for the center. What an ingenious method - I never would have thought of it. There is some rippling on two of the borders but I couldn't face taking out the seams and the mitred corners so I just hope it will quilt out
Thanks so much to everyone. By the way, what stitch length do people use for machine quilting?