Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names? >

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

Old 11-10-2015, 02:28 PM

Mercerized thread is a good thing.

http://tinyurl.com/orgchru
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Although I WOULD like to use strictly Aurofil, I simply can't justify the price so I use CC Essentials, although it's a little lintier, than Aurofil, I get a lot more bang for my buck with the Essentials and my machine likes it just fine, I just clean the bobbin case every 2 bobbins, no big deal. I've never yet had to adjust my tension because of the brand of thread I use.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Personally, I like working with Aurifil 50/2 for piecing & 40/2 for quilting (I buy at http://www.hawthornethreads.com/threads/aurifil). I feel spoiled every time I quilt with it. <snip> It definitely costs more, but the money I save by not having to service my machine as often helps to offset the additional cost.
Aurifil costs more than Connecting threads and Coats and Clark but it is NOT an expensive thread when you figure out the price per per yard. I would post a link to a post I made on my blog 2+ years ago but I get censored every time I do. I did the math and Mettler and Gutermann come in only less expensive than KingTut and Masterpiece.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:28 AM

I'm really grateful for all of this information on thread types. Thank you to all of you for sharing, as I'm sure many have learned a new thing or two!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Wow....thanks everyone for all of the information.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Aurifil is my thread of choice but I have some King Tut thread left that I still use for quilting. It is a good color for what I need, working with Christmas fabrics currently, and I like it as does Sarah. She is my Singer 15-91 that I'm currently quilting with because she's in a cabinet. I have used Presencia a bit. It is a polyester thread that isn't linty and slides smoothly through my machine plus it's very fine so the bobbins hold a lot of thread. I just prefer cotton over polyester so no longer use it but will recommend it to others.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
Thank you to all who responded. Wow! so much to learn and research. C&C was the only thread readily available so that why I used it. After reading all your comments, and they are very helpful, I think I'm going to try a thread set from CT and then a Try Me Special of a couple of different threads from Superior, Aurfill is also high recommended here so I'm going to order a spool of that too. This is exciting. Different machines like and don't like certain threads, so when I find a thread that works well in my machine and don't have any troubles with it I'll stock up. Thank you all again for your wonderful wisdom and advice!

Wanted to point out that usually thread manufacturers will recommend a particular size needle for their threads. For Aurifil 50/2, the company recommends using an 80/12 Microtex needle for piecing & an 80/12 either Microtex or quilting needle for quilting. I've also had success with a 70/10 Microtex for piecing with the 50wt Aurifil. I just love how teeny the holes are when I use that & I personally haven't had any issue with thread snapping with that size needle.

I don't remember which, but I know some 50wt threads recommend using a 90/14 needle. You might try getting a multi-pack with the different sizes and see which one(s) work best which which threads. The needle size can definitely make a difference in both your stitching & your sewing experience.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Aurifil costs more than Connecting threads and Coats and Clark but it is NOT an expensive thread when you figure out the price per per yard. I would post a link to a post I made on my blog 2+ years ago but I get censored every time I do. I did the math and Mettler and Gutermann come in only less expensive than KingTut and Masterpiece.
I totally agree. I did the math vs. Gutermann as well & it worked out to be almost identical -- especially when I compared the smaller spools (100 yards Gutermann vs. 200m Aurifil) that I use for applique. But $10 for 5000 yards for the Connecting Threads spools is well below the price of Aurifil. Still, I have no intention of switching away. I get beautiful results with Aurifil ... it makes me look like a better quilter than I actually am every single time. I only wish I could go back & sew my very first quilts with Aurifil. All those frustrating experiences using cheapy threads & fabrics from big box stores. I almost gave up quilting a few times. I'm not a fancy person by any means, but I do love my collection of Aurifil threads.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I totally agree. I did the math vs. Gutermann as well & it worked out to be almost identical -- especially when I compared the smaller spools (100 yards Gutermann vs. 200m Aurifil) that I use for applique. But $10 for 5000 yards for the Connecting Threads spools is well below the price of Aurifil. Still, I have no intention of switching away. I get beautiful results with Aurifil ... it makes me look like a better quilter than I actually am every single time. I only wish I could go back & sew my very first quilts with Aurifil. All those frustrating experiences using cheapy threads & fabrics from big box stores. I almost gave up quilting a few times. I'm not a fancy person by any means, but I do love my collection of Aurifil threads.
I was lucky in that I found Aurifil early on. The join date in my profile pre-dates my quilting so that lets you know how new I am. I remember the first time I bought a spool of Aurifil, I cringed at the cost and thought, I hope it's as good as people say!

Then, as I was driving home, I started doing the math in my head - driving in Edmonton is REALLY dull... - and realized that that spool of Aurifil had cost me less than the same number of meters of Mettler - which I buy at cost. I almost turned around right then but resolved to try the thread first. Tried it, went back the next month when it was on sale again and stocked up.

When I did the price comparison Gutermann and Mettler came in as some of the most expensive threads - in fact, if I eliminated Superior's threads - they were the most expensive. Considering the lint I get from both of those brands, what Gutermann poly did to my Lucey (actually cut her guides!) and how my seams look with them compared to Aurifil, I wasn't willing to pay the premium.

There's an added bonus too when you buy the 1300M spools of Aurifil - less plastic waste. I find one of those spools fits the same spot a 250m Gutermann spool does and I get more than 5 times the thread to each plastic spool that I will just have to recycle.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 AM

I love this board!