Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accessory Recommendations From Juki TL Owners Please? >

Accessory Recommendations From Juki TL Owners Please?

Accessory Recommendations From Juki TL Owners Please?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:40 AM

Default Accessory Recommendations From Juki TL Owners Please?

I'm expecting delivery of a new Juki TL-2000qi this week, and I'm wondering what add-ones I might want to buy for it. It comes with fewer feet than does the 2010qi -- I think mine comes with a 1/5" FMQ/darning foot, a walking foot, and a 1/4" "compensating" foot? I'd appreciate hearing your opinions and experiences about additional feet, needles, seam guides, and any other accessories I should consider purchasing (or avoiding!). I'm using the machine only for piecing and quilting only -- straight line, SITD, and - eventually, assuming I can learn how - FMQ. Also, does anyone know of a good online group or forum for Juki owners ?

thanks very much!

Judy
Old 09-11-2016, 08:45 AM

There is a Facebook group called Juki TL Sewing Machines---just request to join it. I think I recently got an email from Juki America about a new group, I will see if I saved it. I bought the TL2010q, so am not really sure what additional feet I got that doesn't come with the 2000. I have only bought one thing--a T-bar seam guide. It comes with a screw and attaches to the bed of the machine to the right of the pressure foot and I use it as an easy way to get the seam allowance width I want. I use the walking foot that came with the machine all the time. I don't think there are many accessories to buy that you need for quilting.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 AM

Thank you, JeanneS. I had seen several Juki seam guides -- a couple of screw-ones, and a magnetic one -- and wondered if they would be good. Does yours have set guide distances (like 1/4" or 1/2"), or can you set it at whatever distance you want (like scant 1/4")? If you use your 2010 for piecing, what foot do you use for that? Do you do FMQing? If so, what foot do you like for that? I've seen that some people (Leah Day etc) modify the darning/FMQ foot so it doesn't hop and they cut away a portion of the round presser foot bottom to see their stitching more easily, and/but I also saw that Juki sells some sort of clear FMQ foot that might be good. It is so daunting trying to figure out what I might actually use, given the many options on the market.

Last edited by McGargantuette; 09-11-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:51 AM

I have the TL2010Q. I use it for piecing and quilting. I modified one of my quilting feet, as per Leah Day. I also bought the Scharon Schamber non-hopping foot, which I like a lot. I also purchased a stitch-in-the-ditch foot, which has a little blade on the front that you align with the ditch. That works great too.

I'm sure you will be happy with your machine.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Patricia Drew, how is the Schamber non-hopping foot used? I watched the Leah Day video where she disengaged the hopping mechanism on her FMQ foot. Do you use both?

Last edited by McGargantuette; 09-11-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
Patricia Drew, how is the Schamber non-hopping foot used? I watched the Leah Day video where she disengaged the hopping mechanism on her FMQ foot. Do you use both?
Actually I use the Sharon Schamber foot more often then the modified Juki foot. The Sharon S. foot is smaller, and for me, it's easier to see where I'm going. You can raise and lower the Sharon S. foot manually to accommodate your sandwich height. I think I paid something like $30 for it, and I feel that it's worth every penny. I haven't really used the modified Juki foot that much lately. I do use the non-modified Juki foot occasionally, when I'm quilting a project with lots of intersecting seams. With those projects, the hopping foot seems to work better, even though it's rather large and noisy.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 PM

Judy, for piecing I use the 1/4 foot that came with the machine. Here is a photo of my set up for piecing with that foot and the T-bar guide. The guide does not have any markings on it, you just loosen the screw and slide it left or right for the seam width you want.
As for quilting, I don't FMQ (would love to learn, just have not practiced it), and only quilt with the walking foot. However I can get some pretty neat straight and wavy line and geometric designs with the walking foot.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558081[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0066.jpg  
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Many thanks, PatriciaDrew and JeanneS -- your help and mentoring are so appreciated! I'm going to check out all your suggestions. I'm going to take it slow in getting used to this new machine. I'm currently piecing a top made of many many HSTs; I'm thinking I should probably finish it with my current machine for consistency's sake. At the same time, I'll play around with the Juki so I can get the hang of it; maybe I'll try to quilt this top on the new machine if I feel up to it. (Now to find some videos showing how to do wavy lines with a walking foot ...)
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 AM

I use one of the hopping feet that came with my Juki 2010 for FMQ - I did modify it with all of Leah Day's recommendations. I fixed it so that it doesn't hop, adjusted it so that it doesn't press so hard on my quilt sandwich, and cut open the front of the toe. I love it! The modifications almost instantly moved me from FMQ that I was embarrassed to show anyone to finishing several quilts. I'm still learning, but the improvement is much quicker now.

The walking foot that came with my Juki is very loud and slow. Jacquie Gering recommended a Janome walking foot in one of her walking foot quilting classes on Craftsy. I bought one and found it to be a terrific replacement. I found it on Amazon by searching for Janome high shank walking foot.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:40 AM

I have the Juki DX7 and one accessory that I did order separately was the large thread holder for cones since I had a lot of 40wt. quilting thread that wouldn't fit on the regular one. It is really quit pricey but I do like it. I also ordered the open-toed free motion foot which I am very pleased with.