Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on Hand Quilting Frame >

Advice on Hand Quilting Frame

Advice on Hand Quilting Frame

Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 PM

My frame is a homemade one. I bought it at an auction in NC because it was so similar to the one my DH's family used. I don't know much about the commercial ones. I love my frame but there are some things you have to get used to when sewing on one. You have to develop ways to quilt in all directions. When you quilt on a hoop or in your lap you can turn the quilt. When a quilt is on the frame you have to do the turning. I also have back problems so I have to quilt only a couple of hours at a time. I've found that using a chair that can be lowered or raised helps me a lot. What I love the most about using my frame is that you never have to worry about any tucks or puckers. The rollers keep the layers smooth .... no wrinkles to worry about.

The picture is from several years ago when I was quilting my DGS's graduation quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 0000frame.jpg   0000frame1.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM

I have both a large rectangular floor frame and a round, about 36 inch hoop frame. The hoop part tilts and the hoop can be raised and lowered. I use it in our TV room while watching TV with or without my husband. I have quilted up to a queen size quilt on it. The floor frame I have used in my club basement. It will take up to a king size quilt. Since I used it I also learned how to quilt with my thumb using my left hand. It was set up in our club basement. I haven't used it in a while as it requires keeping our woodstove going in the winter to be able to use the room. I believe the round frame is a Grace. I am not sure what the long floor frame is. At our local Senior center I work with other ladies on a handmade wooden floor frame much like the one pictured in a previous post. For smaller projects I use a plastic snap frame. I have several of them in different sizes.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM

I, too, have a Hinterberg floor frame...an Easy Build Plus Kit. I put it together myself in just a couple hours and love it. You need to buy the rods and the trestle board, but everything else comes in the kit. It does take some practice learning to quilt in all directions, but I'm really happy with it. I've had it for about 8 years.
http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Easy_...lus_Kit-8.aspx

There are holes for a swing arm lamp on both vertical leg pieces, so the lighting is excellent and out of the way. The whole thing tilts down out of the way (not as temptimg to cats as a hammock) even when loaded when you aren't actually quilting. The best part is not having to baste the sandwich.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I have a wonderful plastic snap together frame that my Jim got for me. Since I lack space for the larger ones, this is great for me, and if there is a Hobby Lobby near you, that 40% coupon is a great help.
Attached Thumbnails cobblestone-way-frame.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 AM

I've hand quilted on a frame with 4 boards 1" x 2" about 8' long clamped at the corners and the quilt tacked to the boards and the frame propped up by four kitchen chairs on each corner. Then I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought myself the frame in my picture, very similar to the others shown. I liked it because you don't have to baste and you can get your quilt put together square. I liked that I could tilt it to get a better angle more comfortable for quilting. Additionally, I could just roll it around to move it and set it up against a wall to save space. But then I wanted to take my quilt down south for the winter to keep working on it, so I bought a 17" QSnap lap frame, so thread basted the quilt while still on the big frame and then took it off and took it with me and used the lap frame, which I kinda liked having the portability and the ability to sit and quilt anywhere with it. I've since taken up machine quilting so have sold my floor frame or my sister. It was hard to let it go, but I didn't let it go far .
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
....... but I have always understood you shouldn't leave a quilt on a frame for too long as it can cause permanent creases. Can't answer your question as to different makes, just thought I would let you know my experience with one.
I can attest that don't worry about leaving it on the frame - The quilting group I quilt w/ during the summer often has a quilt on the frame for over a year. My last quilt took 18 months to finish (king size quilt)

I have a floor frame one that is 24x36 which gives me more space to quilt. It is very similar to the PVC one that can be found at JoAnn's, but mine is wooden. I quilt in my office and sit in my office chair. I also have a hoop that I travel w/. I don't mind using the hoop to travel, but not sure i'd like to use that all the time. Moving the quilt around when i've finished an area is a bit cumbersome.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 AM

when quilting on a frame, make sure the quilt in there is loose to allow you to rock your needle back and forth. If the quilt is too tight (like you would if cross-stitching or needle point), you might get frustrated.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

i have a morgan and love it!!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Default Hand Quilting Frame

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I've hand quilted on a frame with 4 boards 1" x 2" about 8' long clamped at the corners and the quilt tacked to the boards and the frame propped up by four kitchen chairs on each corner. Then I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought myself the frame in my picture, very similar to the others shown. I liked it because you don't have to baste and you can get your quilt put together square. I liked that I could tilt it to get a better angle more comfortable for quilting. Additionally, I could just roll it around to move it and set it up against a wall to save space. But then I wanted to take my quilt down south for the winter to keep working on it, so I bought a 17" QSnap lap frame, so thread basted the quilt while still on the big frame and then took it off and took it with me and used the lap frame, which I kinda liked having the portability and the ability to sit and quilt anywhere with it. I've since taken up machine quilting so have sold my floor frame or my sister. It was hard to let it go, but I didn't let it go far .
I like the idea of having the frame on wheels. Do you remember the brand of this one?
Looks like I might be able to borrow one before I invest in one to see if I enjoy quilting on a frame.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have the Hinterberg round frame and love it because it comes to me, I am not leaning over it. You do have to baste still. But if you have the Grace frame, it does it for you. Wish I lived near auntpiggylpn.

Before I had my Hinterberg I had a frame that was not as sturdy as the Grace frames and it worked well enough but took up too much room so got rid of it. Now that my daughters are grown I have more room, but can't justify buying another frame. The other thing about my Hinterberg frame, I have the 2 different size round frames, the 1/2 frame and also a frame that I use for embroidery or needlepoint.
I also have the Hinterberg frame and love that you can turn the frame to make it easier to stitch. My frame is the 22" but I am thinking of getting the 18" frame. Sometimes I find I am stretching more than I want to when the I am working in the 12 o'clock position. Does anyone have the 14" frame and how do you like it? I was wondering if it was too small for quilting? I made the half frame to do borders by following the tutorial that was here on the board. It works well. Quilting candy, is the needlepoint frame by Hinterberg?