Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing >

Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing

Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing

Old 09-11-2016, 03:17 AM

I've done a couple quilts with minky/ cuddle fabric backing that I was worried about the stretch factor. On the one that I quilted about every 6" with a domestic sewing machine/walking foot, it had long seams and I had a large piece of flannel that was left over from a quilt backing. I used this as a batting and stabilized the minky by spray basting it to the flannel. This has been a toddler quilt that has seen constant use/laundering ( Someone knows that she can melt Grandma's heart when she's in trouble and comes out of time-out with tears on her face and quilt clutched in hand!!)
The other one was 4" flannel/minky pieced squares that I laid on a table, pinned the top and minky backing every 2" along the edges. I was able to sew the top and back together with a regular foot ( working at church on donated machine) turned inside out and tacked at the corner of each 4" square, hand stitched to close the opening used to turn. Didn't take as long as it sounds.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 AM

I have finished one of these scrap throws. Thank goodness they are just for personal use!! The backing was minky and it did have a good amount of stretch to it. I ended up clamping it to my kitchen table and pinning the edges. Then I sewed the edges, pillow case style, flipped it and did an edge seam. It's not the best but it's usable for sure. The minky had stretched during the pinning so when all was said and done it's a little smaller than the top, causing the edges to curl a bit.

I have a 2nd one to do. I may do some extra pinning of the center of the quilt this time. I was trying to be quick with the first one and I guess that was not a good idea.

On a positive note, the top looks so colorful and funky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrappy.jpg  
Old 09-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Your plan sounds good, but I think I would prewash the top just in case it should shrink. If you are afraid of fraying, but it in a pillowcase before washing.......
Old 09-11-2016, 12:55 PM

I would want the front and back attached firmly, so I would cross-hatch in very large squares just to keep things together.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:56 PM

There is a lot of difference between the way Minkee and regular fleece handle. Regular fleece is a lot like batting in the sense that the fibers will "stick" to the cotton top a lot better than the reverse side of Minkee will. When the fibers grab one another, there is less need for much quilting or tacking. In addition, Minkee slips, slides, and stretches while being handled. At least that has been my experience.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Banned

I've only made one quilt with a minky back and what I did I was told it wouldn't work AFTER I'd already done it.(and it DID work) But I quilted it on my long arm, I didn't birth it. I've done some receiving blankets(cotton top, flannel back) and a couple of fleece backed throws with the birthing method and I did some simple quilting to keep the layers together. I think with minky you'll really need to do at least some simple quilting. I like to do easy stuff like starting 2" from the outside, quilt a line the shape of the item, then move 2 or 3" in and do it again until you reach the center. Minimal quilting but it keeps the layers together.

Cari
Old 09-11-2016, 01:45 PM

It is sweet, unique and so colorful!
Old 09-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

my machine makes tiny circles and I "tacked" a quilt with those once.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the continued advice!
Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM

If you are using a fleece backing, it will 'soften' the feel of the seams thru the back. When I do a birthed quilt (although it is usually a smaller one that yours) I like to stitch about 1 " all the way around to hold it all in place. Tacking it would be fine, just make sure you do enough of them to keep it from tweaking out of shape.