Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing >

Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing

Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing

Old 09-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

The only thing you need to watch is that fleece is stretchy so when you hang it on the line, it may stretch out. I also think you might have to pin a bit even if you are going to just tack here and there.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
The other possibility is cutting the backing larger and using it to wrap around the front as a binding.
Thanks! I am giving that serious consideration. I was hoping to avoid a lot of quilting since the fleece does not need it, like batting does. Do you suppose I could get away with quilting just a few lines?

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 09-09-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:42 PM

I would think that your idea of just tacking would work. I can remember a lot of my grandmother's quits that were just tacked about every 8 inches, and they lasted for years.

I have never done that myself, so I don't claim to be an expert.

Dina
Old 09-09-2016, 02:51 PM

I'm actually basing this entire quilt idea on some old quilts from the 50's that I had in my attic. They are simply a pieced top and a piece of flannel for the backing. There were a few tacks here and there. They are 60 years old and still intact.

Two of them were totally scrappy, the only thing the pieces had in common with each other were that they were the same height. I was inspired by those two quilts.

So I raided my scrap bin and used every single piece! I cut them all to 6" tall by whatever I could get out of them. I don't have a huge scrap bin but I made two tops that will finish at 45 x 70 which is what I like for a throw. I found 3 fleece (or minky??) throws in the house. I can piece them into two backs that will be the right size. I'm hoping to avoid extensive quilting. I just don't feel like doing that right now. Plus if these throws are minky, that's a bit stretchy I think. So I'd like to tack them like my vintage ones.

Fingers crossed! I suppose if this doesn't work out, all I've lost is my scraps and 3 old throws.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same situation with a top and piece of fleece and wondering how to put it together. I had thought about doing the self-binding method, but I like your way better. I think it will work out great. I have done several tied quilts with the whole quilt sandwich with batting and I use yarn or embrodery floss for tying. This is how most of my family "quilts" and they are long-lasting and look homey. It will be way easier to just tack with the sewing machine though. Good ideas!
Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM

I personally hate folding the back over the top as a binding. I find it takes longer than cutting my binding and attaching it. Maybe it's just me but that's what I've found to be the case.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 AM

I think your plan should work just fine. The stretching of the fleece/minky over the clothesline might be an issue but I'm not sure. I would probably tack about a hand-width apart in both directions just to avoid a lot of shifting of the 2 layers during use.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I have a folded cutting board that is that size. I have birthed a quilt that size and just placed it on top of the board on my bed. You could also place your cutting mat on your table and start pinning or tying from the center out which works really well. You can tape or clamp to your table. This is where 'shims' come in handy so the clamps don't mar your table or surface.
Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I won't be using a batting. This will be about 45 x 70. I'm thinking of sewing the top parts, right sides together. Then hang it on a clothesline and pin the front and back together (right sides facing each other) on the 2 sides and bottom. Then sew around the edges again, leaving a hole for turning. I would then turn it, trim the edges and close up the hole.

I was thinking since there is no worry about batting shifting, I could just do some random tacking stitches here and there to hold it together. Meaning I won't be quilting it per se. I'd probably stitch the edges too.

Is there anything wrong with my plan?? I'm making it up as I go.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 AM

Thanks! I am rethinking the clothesline part because of stretching. I am lucky because I still have an old kitchen table with no lip and a formica top. I can pin there easily and not ruin the surface. I think I'll do that.