Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on putting together these crazy quilt blocks for quilt... >

Advice on putting together these crazy quilt blocks for quilt...

Advice on putting together these crazy quilt blocks for quilt...

Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
My thought would be to use a dark chocolate brown or black sashing. I would want the sashing to recede into the background so your beautiful blocks will be the emphasis/focal point. Would love to see the finished quilt!!
I agree with the dark suggestion!!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:15 AM

Beautiful blocks. Being close to your mother's age she will love it! No idea on the sashining.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:15 AM

That is beautiful and interesting. Love it.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 AM

Lovely blocks. I'm thinking since u have lots of beige/tan/gold colors already that an med blue/warm white would do it justice or med brown?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Your blocks are gorgeous. You put so much time and thought into each one, so I know your mom will be thrilled. I think either sashing or traditional will work fine.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
Hello all,
I am finally getting to the end stages of the crazy quilt I have been working on for too long for my Mom. She will be turning 75 this year, and it is also the 10th anniversary of her being in remission from lung cancer. I am trying to decide what color sashing to use to put the blocks together. This is my first ever crazy quilt, the blocks themselves are machine pieced, but all of the embellishing and embroidery is by hand. They are 15" unfinished, and I still have 4 of them to finish embellishing. Here's a pic of what I have so far, this is not the finished layout, I just laid them out for this pic:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487062[/ATTACH]
Thanks for helping,
Kif

Personally, I'd not use sashing. I like the look of continuous crazy. I would suggest that the pieces be embellished after joining them.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
You did a beautiful job. I agree on a light border as Judy says.
OOPS, I didn't realize Kiffee was asking about what kind of border to use
Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 AM

Please don't muck these pieces up--------------no sashing and no or very narrow border. the more I look at these beautiful blocks the more certain I am that they don't need sashing.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 AM

Thanks all!
You've all confirmed what I was considering, either a neutral, like a tan...Or going with black. I honestly didn't consider a brown...Hmmm..

I worry if I don't sash them then they'll all run together...

And Ellie, thanks for the ideas pertaining to cancer survival. Actually color awareness for lung cancer is white/pearl. I am going to finish one of the remaining blocks with items celebrating her remission, embroider the words courage and hope..add in charms that represent lung cancer awareness, etc...

Great idea, ragamuffin! I planned to lay different fabrics out with the blocks, taking pics to compare is a super idea!

Since its narrowed down to tan, Brown, or black, now I need to decide from those... I have considered a Fairy Frost fabric, as well.

My best "quilt guild sis" finished hers with Fairy Frost black, it's beautiful! But her blocks have more black in them than mine do. After she sashed them, several of us met at her house and we all helped her tie it. Only took a couple of hours with 6 of us working on it.

I guess I should've thought this thru better, and decorated/chose block colors with sashing color in mind...But being a "newbie" and considering it IS a crazy quilt, I guess my being crazy is ok...lol..

Thanks again all,
K
All the older crazy quilts I've seen did run together------and IMO, that is the beauty of a crazy quilt
Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 AM

I'm auditioning sashing colors now.
One question I have for the people who vote no sashing, is how do the blocks not run together and look all, well...crazy?? Lol.. I mean crazy as in unattractive crazy.
I know some crazy quilts actually appear to be one large block. As they have angles all through out... But in my case, as my squares are symmetrically square, wouldn't it look "odd"?
I will try to post a picture of my friends quilt that she sashed with Fairy Frost black. She then putt a yoyo at each intersection. It's beautiful.
By the way, yes there's a lot of sparkly threads and beads! My lil spider webs are all made with metallics...
Regards,
Kif

I've heard that the "crazy" comes from crazed--------as in pottery that has become crazed. And the pottery "crazing" does run together. I don't think the very square blocks would be any harm for a quilt. Just as you have them laid out is very attractive.