Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AHA! (kind of long, but it gets to quilting, I promise!) >

AHA! (kind of long, but it gets to quilting, I promise!)

AHA! (kind of long, but it gets to quilting, I promise!)

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM

I was just reading the post from a lady who's friend stabbed herself with her snips trying to save them from falling...I replied with a post about how I'm a Medical Lab Tech, and you *never* want to try to catch a falling, dirty needle, so it's my instinct to "spread 'em" if something sharp falls (my husband likes to call it my crab move, because my hands go up, I spread my legs and feet and kind of scuttle backwards to get away from it...lol). Then I got to thinking about how I'm missing my work, since I'm on maternity leave until April 2011 (since February of this year). A large part of my job is taking blood, I enjoy it, and I'm quite proficient with a needle, if I do say so myself. There are many aspects to my job, but I like that part the best. I swear, I'm not a sadist...I don't get joy out of hurting people or anything :lol: , I just love what I do and do it well (Really! Most patients tell me they barely felt my poke)

Then I got to thinking about quilting...I only recently started, late August of this year. But I LOVE it. And I think I'm learning pretty quickly. I don't have any family that sews, outside of basic mending, no friends that quilt or sew. My mother crochets, and I did pick that up, but she's into intricate "specialty" crocheting, and I never get more fancy than a scalloped border on a blanket made up of single and double crochets and I have no desire to. But I decided I wanted to make a quilt one day and OH, I want to do it ALL!

And "click"!! The light bulb in my head turned on...I miss NEEDLES! Not that I needed a reason to love quilting...but I think I found it. :lol: It's funny when you draw a parallel between your hobby and your professional life that you never knew was there! Either way...I'm in this "hobby" (habit? addiction?) to stay, and I'm glad I found it. :D
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Google Goddess

I am glad you are enjoying quilting, have fun!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Deema, what a great post!! I would be willing to bet you are great at taking blood b/c the best ones are the ones I never feel! I have good veins which makes it easier to draw from but still- every now and then I could feel it.
The one in my doctor's office now is amazing- you would swear she didn't do it and she's done! I bet that's you :D
And yes, it is interesting how our professional and personal lives are paralleled sometimes!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Thats just funny. Back in the day I was a phlebo. I miss it sometimes. Never a dull moment and each patient and experience kept the job from being far from boring. There's just something about that job that very much like quilting gets to you. You get to see people at their absolute worst and really find out what strength some have..or haven't. I have had grown he men faint dead away at the sight of the tip of the needle. =)
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

I have terribly deep, tricky, hard to get at veins. Unfortunately due to the medication I take, I have to go every month to have blood drawn. You have no idea how much I really appreciate a phlebotomist who has excellent needle skills! Anyway...enough of that...but I'm glad for you that you found quilting .... and it's connection to your job!

I think my quilting addiction came from my job too....I worked in the book trade for years. So many fantastic picture books, art books, then I discovered quilting books...that was it!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 AM

I have found the reason why I love quilting - it matches my job, too. I'm a custom picture framer and there are few professions that combine creativity with color and design ... and fractions! Using both sides of the brain!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 AM

I love quilting but I hate needles! Seriously to get me to the doctor dh about has to hog tie me and knock me unconscious. As for drawing blood...I tense up so much that everyone that has ever tried has a hard time getting the needle in. One lady told me one time I was so tense i was dulling her needles. I've never had anyone succeed on the first try. I think my quilting addiction comes from the sense of connection it gives me with past generations. I know that my Grannie and great Grandmother quilted and to be completely honest my Grannie is about all the family I had growing up.