Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: All young quilters out there...

I am 47. I have made quilts since I was 13. I don't consider myself a quilter but rather someone that sews. Quilts are just one of the things I sew. Both of my DILs asked me to teach them to sew/quilt. They were each in their early 20s at the time.

I will say your husband is not alone. I went to a quilting retreat in March and my husband made a comment about " a bunch of little, old quilting ladies." There was one woman younger than me there. I think part of that is due to how difficult it is to justify taking that much time away from your family.

Well tell your friend he is so wrong. I'm 51 and I don't consider myself old. I know i've seen other threads where there have been youngsters who are learning to quilt, and I believe there are a few grandparents passing the skill onto their grandchildren. I think you will find you will get lots of responces to this question.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I"m in my mid 30s and just started quilting. As with many things there is a stereotype of a quilter. And as with most stereotypes, it is wrong!
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

I am 34. Though I just really started I love it and don't plan to stop anytime soon so call me an "old" woman.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 4 cats, and 3 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew or digital scrap.
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    I am 47 and have been quilting for years- my sister 44 started just over a year ago after she saw a quilt my niece ( her daughter age 14 ) made for a school class- now my nephew ( my sisters son and brother to the aforementioned niece) age 13 is starting to quilt. In fact just last weekend I picked up an older Kenmore machine for him - it is in his bedroom , but he told his friends he is just storing it for his mom LOL That's ok we won't tell his friends
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Power Poster
    I am two years older than you but know people who are much younger than me that like to quilt. My granddaughters want to learn and we sew when they come for a visit.

Blog Entries
    I'm 25 (wil be 26 the end of June) and have been quilting for about 2 1/2 years now. I'm teaching our 10 yr old cousin to quilt and my 6yr old son loves to sew! No way am I an old lady yet, but I should be a great quilter by the time I am with all this practice I'm getting hahahah!

My DH tells me I have old lady habits, it's his mantra now I think
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Blog Entries
    i went to the machine quilters showcase in overland park, kansas the 17th of this month, and there was a 11 year old girl who made a quilt from start to finish and won 2 ribbons she put me to shame she did great!!
    esther

I'm 34 and I've been quilting for a little over 4 years, but I've known how to sew since I was 12. I've been told numerous times that I'll make a "great old lady" since I like to quilt.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

I will be turning 50 in July. Does that count? Anyway, what do we care what that person thinks? I am so thrilled to be learning new things

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast