Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting Ack! It's baffling >

Basting Ack! It's baffling

Basting Ack! It's baffling

Old 03-07-2017, 03:53 AM

I take my quilts to church to put them together. I am a hand quilter and I can pull tables together to lay everything out.. I hand quilt so I safety pin the layers . Can't do that any more with my arthritic knees.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:40 AM

I quilt my quilts, all sizes, on my Janome 6600. The basting is challenging but doable. I also use my dining room tabled opened up and basting spray. The video I watched was pressed after spraying which really keeps the layers together but you can still reposition if you have to. My Janome has a 9" harp space so that helps also. A normal harp space is 6". Good luck.

Last edited by Karamarie; 03-07-2017 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Error
Old 03-07-2017, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Look up Sharon Schambers method for basting. Being an award winning quilter, her method might give you some ideas.

Has anyone else tried this method?

This can be done with any size quilt with a minor investment of a few boards and it really works. There is a part one and part two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Hope you find it useful.
peace
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Look up Sharon Schambers method for basting. Being an award winning quilter, her method might give you some ideas.

Has anyone else tried this method?

This can be done with any size quilt with a minor investment of a few boards and it really works. There is a part one and part two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Hope you find it useful.
peace
I use this method all the time for anything wider than a baby quilt. The more you do it, the faster you get at it. Never any creases or tucks on the batting. I think the video shows hand-basting, but I use spray basting. If the project is really big, I will add some pins, because I quilt on a 9 in. harp machine, and on a large quilt, that can involve a lot of repositioning. Adding the pins helps avoid any shifting of the sandwich layers when pushing and pulling through the harp.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I did the Sharon Shamberg way a couple times. I have found if I center my table and mark it , I'm going to use then quarter fold the fabric, and press the folds with my hands and center all. I have found I can do a running baste stitch ( gma called it) through the center folds. I do a cross baste to determine my center just incase a distraction and knot those ends. Showed my neighbor this when she needed help with a over-sized king size quilt (more a like California King with sides to the floor). We did this on her kitchen table (36" x 60"). She quilted it on her domestic. She also has a 401 in a desk cabinet. Propped the ironing board behind the sewing machine, used the round clips (like closed horse shoes) and couple small table to the side to deter the weight drag. Took her 3 days to quilt (she does have a life). This was a bright colored quilt and she actually wore sunglasses at times to quilt it. We wore sunglasses when we basted it. If it can be done on a California king and on a domestic you can do a smaller on your domestic.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM

"I didn't spray the top batting, just the bottom side of the batting."

When I baste with 505, I spray the top of the quilt and the backing for the quilt, not the batting and I do it outside hanging on a railing or clothesline and bring it inside to sandwich. I understand you can also spray using Sharon Schambers method but with 505, but you need to spray inside then. Patsy Thompson has a video spray basting on a wall as well that might interest you.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I think one of the most important things to be considered is not rushing. From conversations over the years I think most quilters find the basting the worst, most difficult and unsatisfying part of quilting. If the object is to quilt the quilt, then embracing basting as part of the whole is really important and to do it well means to not rush the process. Practicing on smaller quilts first before doing a huge quilt might make the task a bit easier because it is a learned thing to do. Learning every process and step along the journey is important and equal to the enjoyment and satisfaction at the end.

Over the years I have learned to work slowly, don't rush to "get it done". Enjoy what you are doing every step and stitch along the way.

peace