Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 QE issues >

Bernina 440 QE issues

Bernina 440 QE issues

Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Bernina 440 QE issues

Hi there! I'm new to the board and have some questions about my machine that has been acting up recently. I know this is long but I'm trying to give as much background info as possible.

I bought a Bernina 440QE from a dealer about 5 years ago. The shop still does repairs, but is no longer a Bernina dealer. I have taken it in to be cleaned and try and clean it religiously. He did say last time that I oiled it too much. (?)

I mostly sew on Friday & Saturday, pretty much all day. I like to sew fast, and until I had issues, had the speed bar all the way up. I do a *lot* of free motion quilting with a darning foot. I had started with the BSR, but one I got going and better at FMQ, just use the darning foot.

I sew for a hobby but I also sell quilts part time (I work full time, but would love to be a full time quilter). I've been sewing for 35 years, quilting off and on through then, and been really into machine quilting for maybe 7 years. I got the Bernina to get better at FMQ, because the two machines I had at the time just couldn't do it.

About two months ago I was happily quilting away, heard a THUNK and then stitches would no longer form. The timing was off. I got that fixed and within two weeks, it happened *again*. I was able to reproduce this by sewing at top speed, so i turned the speed bar down a little so even if I floored the pedal, I wouldn't go quite that fast.

All has been well for a while. I did have issues with the machine resetting itself while I was sewing. It would turn off and on, sometimes 4 times in 5 minutes. There was a loose connection.

Now today, it happened again. I wasn't even quilting. I just turned the machine on and prepped to hem my daughter's pajama pants in a knit. I didn't even get halfway around the leg and heard a thunk. The timing is out yet again, the needle hitting the bobbin race. I am experience with working with knits and wasn't pulling.

I'm mostly looking for thoughts. Am I using the machine way too much more than intended? Am I going way too fast all the time? Sometimes things fall off my desk when I get going. Do I just sew to much and have gone over some usage limit? Am i just hard on sewing machines and need an industrial?

Basically, at this point I need an actual dealer to look at the machine and hook it up to their computer, but the closest ones are 300kms away. That's an overnight trip and planning so it won't happen any time soon.

I'm trying to brace myself for what to expect, because as far as I knew these are top of the line heavy duty machines. At some point I want a longarm, but I'm not ready (financially and space wise) to get one yet, and relegate my Bernina to mostly piecing.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM

I am a happy BERNINA owner and have been for maybe 50 years. The 440QE is probably one of the best machines ever made. I think you need a factory trained BERNINA technician to work on your machine and tune it up properly. I made a mistake of buying one of my machines from a sewing machine dealer (all brands) and a warranty for 3 maintenance sessions. The service was not like the tech maintenance I was used to. One of my machines is an 1130 that I have had for 30 years and was used for drapery, etc. The tech said he has never seen a machine with so many stitches (it does have a counter). He has replaced a couple of parts over the years because of wear. So, please, go see a BERNINA dealer and talk to their technician. He or she can solve your difficulties because what is happening should not be happening.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

So sorry about your problems with this machine. Is the 440 made in Switzerland? If so, it will have that sticker somewhere on the machine. Some years ago Bernina shipped manufacture of all but their top of the line machines to other countries. My guess is that your machine is one of these. These machines cannot stand up to the same amount of usage that the older Berninas can. You might want to look into purchasing a vintage Bernina.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Thanks, quilterpurpledog - looks like we're taking a trip!

And yes Prism99, this is made in Switzerland, which is why I was so surprised it suddenly had issues.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I think you need to take it in for servicing at a Bernina dealership. Bring in what you were quilting to show the person what was happ0ening. I only have had one problem with my Bernina 1530. Yes, you can over oil a machine.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 PM

It could be something as simple as the needle/hook distance is too tight. When the hook is damaged, it's a clue that the needle bar needs to be swung away from the hook just a speck more. It's a great machine! Where you're so far away, take a sample to sew on at the shop, after the repair.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:00 PM

Bernina machines shouldn't just slip out of time; there is definitely something wrong. Did they replace your hook when they retimed the first time? Timing isn't rocket science! I have done timing on multiple machines (though not my Bernie).

I hope your shop will be able to schedule your repair as a same-day thing. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Could you not ship after telephoning and asking about your problems. I know that me 440 nq is not that happy at going fast, or is that me. Not sure. I've had mine foe 8 years and a full service every year. I don't oil extensively just small drop on a q tip.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Yes, it it time to visit a certified Bernina tech. They have to have recurrent training and have access to parts and the techs in Chicago, who know the answers to puzzling problems ( I work at a Bernina dealer). Your machine should not keep going out of time, and they should find that loose connection so you don't re-set. Today's machines do have circuit boards and a lot more computer and electronic "stuff" than ever before (that is what gives us the features we love). I had a 440 for almost 10 years, and mine is still stitching happily at a friends house. They were a great machine, but not Top of the Line, more mid-range. The 440 came out in 2005 (mine was one of the first), and was the first to have the BSR. The TOL at the time was the 730, then the 830, now the 880.

The 440s were made in Switzerland, but I would like to dispel the rumor that machines made at the Thailand factory are not as good. The difference is, the engineers are still in Switzerland doing the designing, is is a Bernina factory, and the workers are Bernina trained employees. The manufacture is not being subbed out to an unknown asian factory low bidder. I now have a new Bernina 570, more or less the current version of the 440 with 10 years new technology. Yes, it was built in Thailand but I did not hesitate.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:59 AM

Well it looks like a belt issue - it keeps slipping when I go fast, causing the timing to be thrown off (by a LOT, not a little).

The closest dealer is booked up till September, then they can fit me in. Am contacting the other one now.