Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820? >

Bernina 820?

Bernina 820?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Buy the Bernina and keep the other one, too. You never know when a machine might break down at a crucial time -- you know, just when you're making Christmas gifts and have no time to spare -- that sort of thing. It doesn't hurt to have a spare.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Please keep in mind that Bernina made an 830 back in the 70's - so not to be confused with the computerized 830. Pretty silly of them to name 2 of their TOL machines the same thing. BTW! I LOVE my 30 plus y/o Bernina 830. What a work horse!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM

I just bought an 820 in September and even though I'm still learning to use it, it is the most incredible machine I've ever worked with. If you have the chance to get one, go for it!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM

I would buy it in memory of your long lost Aunt. She wanted to give you the money. Why not purchase what you desire, I'm sure that she would be happy for you. You are right, if you leave the money in your check book it will probably go to pay off a bill or purchase an item for someone else. You are not being selfish, you've been given the opportunity to do this for yourself. You don't need our permission, unless you are behind in the rent go for it. Enjoy it while you can....
Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Dee

Buy the machine and be happy. Things happen the way they should.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 PM

I have 2 Bernina's, a 730 and a 330 for travel. If I had the money, I would trade the 730 in for an 830 (because I love the embroidery). If you don't need the embroidery, then I don't think you could go wrong with the 820. My Bernina dealer gives great trade in values on machines, even other brands. I won a little Janome Gem Silver and really didn't need it, so, unknown to me my DH made a deal to trade it in on the Bernina 330. The dealer gave me $300 on it toward the 330. That is almost the selling price for the Janome. So, check to see if you can get a decent trade in and you will have some money left over to buy accessories for the 820. Let us know what you decide.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by so-sew
Hello. I'm hoping for input to help resolve an internal argument I'm having with myself repeatedly. I'm an owner of a new Janome 6600 since the end of September. I really like the machine, but would LOVE the BSR and extra throat space (12 full inches!) of the 820. When I bought the 6600, it fit into my budget with little to spare. Now, here's the good part....On Thanksgiving I was informed a long lost aunt left me enough money in her will to pay for the 820 and still have a little money left over. (I'm not kidding....truly a long lost aunt!) Am I justified in buying a new machine when the 6600 is still so new? I know there will be many advising me to put the money away and "think on it", but my worry is that once it gets assimilated into the checking or savings account, my husband will find it "painful" to withdraw and spend that much on a sewing machine. It feels like a "now or never" scenerio. Does any of this make sense? I would love to hear anything you have to say about the matter. Thanks for listening:).
the 820 is fantastic. however, my friend got the 830 and she does not regret the extra investment. i have 3 berninas and use all of them. especially to keep from changing thread colors so often. if it were me, i would keep your current machine and just add to it. you will not be making mistake.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 AM

I don't have the 820, but I do have the Aurora 440 with the BSR. If you are already comfortable with FMQ, the BSR is a waste. I have more problems with that and end up FMQ using a regular spring darning foot.

However, the larger opening is WONDERFUL for quilting. the stitch selection is also wonderful. I recently bought a Brother machine - A Laura Ashley Limited edition. The 440 is a basic Cadillac, the Brother is a KIA with all the bells and whistles. I love the thread cutter, the automatic needle threader, the pivot option. Those are features shared by the 820. Those are worth investing in.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Coming from one who has emptied her billfold, may I say the 3 Berninas I own are well worth the dollars spent. Yes, Bernina sells the 830 without the embroidery feature BUT its number is 820. The machines are the same, it is just that the 830 has this extra large attachment for embroidery. Since I have no desire for machine embroidering, I elected to save a couple thousand+ and get the 820.

Yes, both machines are a bit touchy with their thread cutting mechanism but my experience is to utilize the automatic steps for cutter cleaning and vacuum under the plate at least once a week. I also was told to place just a drop of oil (small drop now) at the top of the bobbin casing about once a week. However, I sew some 4 hours a day at least 5 days a week so that makes a difference.

Since I wanted the larger throat for machine quilting and since I sew so many hours daily, I sold my 440QE to a friend. The 440QE is one super machine and should I ever want another machine, I would buy another one. It comes with a walking foot and I was able to learn free motion quilting easily upon it.

My third machine is the smaller 240(I think that its number) which is a workhorse in itself. My reasoning for it is lighter weight to carry to Project Linus sewing days and other Guild functions. I purchased a walking foot for it and it then does great for cross-hatching charity quilts.

In all my contacts with quilters and garment seamstresses, the Janome and Berninas have been their machines of choice. My best advice is go to a dealer (not fabric shops nor discount stores) and talk with them. Get the best machine you can afford and do not discount those machines traded in. Most dealers will give you warranties and classes, even for the trade-ins.

Also be aware of brand named machines that their companies have been sold and merchandise is not made as well as years earlier. If I am not mistaken, Singer and Phaff have changed.

Good luck and happy stitches. May your Aunt rest in peace and may you make many quilts in her honor.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Coming from one who has emptied her billfold, may I say the 3 Berninas I own are well worth the dollars spent. Yes, Bernina sells the 830 without the embroidery feature BUT its number is 820. The machines are the same, it is just that the 830 has this extra large attachment for embroidery. Since I have no desire for machine embroidering, I elected to save a couple thousand+ and get the 820.

Yes, both machines are a bit touchy with their thread cutting mechanism but my experience is to utilize the automatic steps for cutter cleaning and vacuum under the plate at least once a week. I also was told to place just a drop of oil (small drop now) at the top of the bobbin casing about once a week. However, I sew some 4 hours a day at least 5 days a week so that makes a difference.

Since I wanted the larger throat for machine quilting and since I sew so many hours daily, I sold my 440QE to a friend. The 440QE is one super machine and should I ever want another machine, I would buy another one. It comes with a walking foot and I was able to learn free motion quilting easily upon it.

My third machine is the smaller 240(I think that its number) which is a workhorse in itself. My reasoning for it is lighter weight to carry to Project Linus sewing days and other Guild functions. I purchased a walking foot for it and it then does great for cross-hatching charity quilts.

In all my contacts with quilters and garment seamstresses, the Janome and Berninas have been their machines of choice. My best advice is go to a dealer (not fabric shops nor discount stores) and talk with them. Get the best machine you can afford and do not discount those machines traded in. Most dealers will give you warranties and classes, even for the trade-ins.

Also be aware of brand named machines that their companies have been sold and merchandise is not made as well as years earlier. If I am not mistaken, Singer and Phaff have changed.

Good luck and happy stitches. May your Aunt rest in peace and may you make many quilts in her honor.
Actually, that's not correct. The 830 is a different machine than the 820. It's not simply the 830 minus the embroidery function. If you look at the 2 machines side by side, their screens are different. The 830 besides having the embroidery capability also has more storage files(memory). The 830 has more stitches and directional stitching , 360 degree stitching, that the 820 does not. So, they are not the same machine minus the embroidery arm. Just clarifying here.