Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR troubles >

Bernina BSR troubles

Bernina BSR troubles

Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
Try the machine speed in the middle, and in BSR 2, that is when it only goes when you move the fabric. I feel I have more control in that mode. Before you do anything else, take out your manual and re read the section on BSR, after reading these posts, with all the advice, it may make more sense to you. Don't give up on it, the BSR is a great tool for equal stitches, once you figure things out.
I always use my BSR 2, Love it and could not FMQ with out it!!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Set you stitch length to a longer setting and slow the speed down on your machine. That should help.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Thanks guys! I'll try all that.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM

The last time i tried my brs it did OK in mode 2 when i moved the fabric. What is it supposed to do in mode one. I could not figure that out from the book.
Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
Try the machine speed in the middle, and in BSR 2, that is when it only goes when you move the fabric. I feel I have more control in that mode. Before you do anything else, take out your manual and re read the section on BSR, after reading these posts, with all the advice, it may make more sense to you. Don't give up on it, the BSR is a great tool for equal stitches, once you figure things out.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 AM

When I use my BSR on my 440QE I always reduce the machine speed all the way down. BSR 1 runs when the fabric is moved. BSR 2 runs constantly. Practice with both on scrap fabric.
Also, I took my BSR to my dealer last year and had the computer in it updated - all they did was plug it into a new machine. Perhaps that and a quick lesson from the dealer would help you.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM

You aren't going to like my answer, but, I have the 830 with the BSR and I refuse to use it. I didn't like the stitches so what I do is put the stitch length to 0 and free motion quilt that way. I think it works great!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 AM

Take the foot pedal out. Turn speed to low and use mod 2. Now try to quilt . Turn the speed up gently on the speed control until you find a speed you enjoy. Just leave th foot pedal alone for now and now you are working on the speed only. I love the BSR and bought the machine after using one in classes I went to. It is the best thing I use.
If it is still too fast when lever slide is at low then you have a problem with the machine and the dealer needs to have it back. Pm if you want any other help.
I have just retread your posts. Ring bernina themselves and ask the for help. They should also be able to tell you where your closest dealer is who will help.
If they don't I'm sure it is against some warranty or something legal.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 01-03-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 AM

Even though I was not the one who had the question, I got a lot of good info from this discussion. Thanks.

I tried the BSR for the first time to make some quilted fabric for a purse and it was fun but you gave me some new options.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm really intrigued by the BSR ... is it really all that hard to get onto using it to get the even quilting it's meant to produce?

What are the negatives about it?
And the positives? ... beyond the perfect quilting ........

In other words, SELL me on it ... or convince me as to why I don't want to go there!!!

(currently, I have a Janome 6600, so would upgrade to a wider throat ... I think it's the 820?)

And has anyone made the switch between those machines ... what are the other benefits beyond the BSR that'll have me in love with it!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM

I've tried what you all recommended--cleaning the sensor, setting the speed to super low, increasing stitch length, BSR2 (I always used that one anyway). While perhaps slightly improved, it's still looking pretty terrible, and definitely a lot worse than my old-fashioned free-motion quilting. What is strange is that my mom has an Aurora 440QE with the BSR, and I tried it over the holidays and it acted pretty much the same way, which would suggest either user error or a whole batch of bad BSRs. I will contact Bernina, and perhaps drop by the dealer I've been buying feet from in the hopes that they'll take pity on me if I act pathetic since I'll be in the area next week. Again, thank you all so much for your help!

@sewingsuz: it's supposed to move continuously. I think it's so that you can take securing stitches at the beginning and end of a line of quilting.