Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best invention yet >

Best invention yet

Best invention yet

Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

You don't cut with the lines on the mat at all. All you do is position your old ruler as you are used to doing, then abut the Slidelock against it, remove the ruler and make your cut against the Slidelock.
I don't do it that way at all. I have my ruler in place to cut and put the Slidelock on top of the ruler and cut as normal using the ruler edge. The Slidelock is for safety when using a rotary cutter and ruler. That's why I bough it, for safety, not for a cutting edge. I have two sizes and use the longer one the most. The ruler does not move with the Slidelock on it.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM

This is another one of those must haves! I am gonna have to add on a extra room for all of my rulers! LOL
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 AM

I've mentioned the Quilters Slide-lock ruler on the Board several times and said it is the best investment ever. If you have carpal tunnel or arthritis, it is a must-have because you don't have to put so much pressure on your wrists and hands to use it. I do as the video suggests - place my ruler at the edge to cut, then put my slide-lock in place and cut. Sometimes I use my Martelli cutting mat for a guide, but I prefer using a ruler and the slide-lock. It is definitely worth the money. I bought mine at a quilt show where their company was a vendor. I plan to get the 14" size next.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 AM

If it doesn't have measurement markings on it isn't it difficult to insure that you are getting the proper measured cut, especially when it involves a measurement other than just full inches?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 AM

That's really interesting, thanks for posting the video. It may have to be in my future one day.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 AM

I've had the big one for a year now and use it constantly but after watching the video, now i'll use it the way it was designed. Slide your ruler to the right width then put this next to it. Daa, I don't know why I didn't think of that! I'm sure they will be at the Puyallup Sew Expo the end of Feb.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 AM

never seen this one before and will have to watch this thread more
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I purchased two differnet sizes of them at a quilt show several years age, love them.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM

I see Nancy's Notions has them. Guess I better order one! I always wondered how people could cut themselves with a rotary cutter and then I did it to myself a week ago. It was an expensive cut!! I met my deductible for my insurance with that cut!!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
LOVE my Slidelock! Actually, I have two, but normally use the 14". Both have the "lighted edge" which isn't really lighted, but a tint that reflects light. When I cut yardage, I fold in half twice - once selvedge to selvedge, then again - so 4 layers thick. Cuts without a problem. I have also cut 8 layers... Not sure I'd recommend that, but I've done it. Keep in mind, you have to have a good blade in your cutter. The Slidelock prevents any slippage at all.
I totally agree with peace and joy and this is how I cut multiple layers with 14" slide lock. I've had the 14" 'lighted' one for over a year or perhaps two years...and like other's have said, it's worth every penny and believe me I watch my pennies.

They ship fast (Priority) and reasonably from the website. Perhaps they have show specials, one could always contact them by email and ask for the show special price if you cannot make it to one of the shows.

http://quiltersslidelock.com/

Please remember the 'lighted' is the reflective tint of the acrylic material there is no light per say. I find that with my 'older' eyes the lighted slide lock takes the shadows away, even though I have great lighting over my cutting table, with positional lights the shadows were troublesome to me. With the slide lock it 'lighted' it has eliminated those shadows.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-20-2014 at 07:26 AM.