Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to quilt this applique truck sandwich after basting completed? >

Best way to quilt this applique truck sandwich after basting completed?

Best way to quilt this applique truck sandwich after basting completed?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM

Default Best way to quilt this applique truck sandwich after basting completed?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]480253[/ATTACH]

Hope this image appears. The truck appliques are already sewn to top layer. The bottom navy fabric will be used to make the binding.
Rene
Attached Thumbnails dscn0759.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

in the vehicle areas, i'd quilt a road with markings and put road signs in the background of that. i might put roads in the squares areas, too, with maybe stop signs in the squares. if there's not enough quilting in the vehicles, i'd just do some SITD around their features
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I agree. Road for the trucks to drive on with trees, buildings and clouds in the background as needed. Basically, quilt in Mr Roger's neighborhood.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

REAL CUTE !!! I would do what Nancy and Tartan described. Some little guy is going to be very lucky !!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
in the vehicle areas, i'd quilt a road with markings and put road signs in the background of that. i might put roads in the squares areas, too, with maybe stop signs in the squares. if there's not enough quilting in the vehicles, i'd just do some SITD around their features
Oh No...ha, you guys are making even more work for me. This is only my 3rd quilt EVER and I made all the trucks from scratch which took quite a while and I'm 66. I will keep your idea in mind as it would be cute but my grandson has the new bed now so I want to be done w/it soon. I really would like to know where to start the horizontal and diagonal lines to avoid puckering and should I sew again all around the edges of the appliques ? My granddaughters butterfly quilt took me a year to finish.
Attached Thumbnails dscf2491.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Okay, what batt are you using? Some can be quilted 8/10 inches apart. With any quilt you machine quilt, it is best to start in the middle and quilt out so that any extra fabric moves to the edge.
If time is of the essence, baste your sandwich (already done?)and starting from the middle, use your walking foot to quilt in the ditch across the width of the quilt between the appliqué and pieced blocks. Once the quilt is stabilized, you can come back in and quilt around the inner squares in the pieced sections and outline quilt the vehicles in the appliqué sections. If the batt says quilt as far away as 8 inches than that can be enough quilting. You can add other quilting details if you still have time.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM

You are going to have to fill in those blank areas around the vehicles with stitching of some sort or you will gets puckering...and those large squares and area around them too.....soooooo, why not do all your lovely appliqué work the justice it needs and do some thread play.......you will be pleased with yourself when it is done. Do a little each day and before you know FINI!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

Tartan- Yes I believe I need to quilt every 3-4 inches or so. Its a cotton/poly mix batting. The under layer is flannel and the bright squares are flannel also. Shirting is cotton. ( All pre -washed too) Now I am a bit concerned it will be so hot ( Northwest cold in winter though) Adding some yellow or red signs would be cute though. Still I have it basted now so would have to sew thru all layers. I think I need to baste more today.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM

On the applique, I'd suggest you stitch about 1/4" inside the applique on each piece of the applique. Inside the wheels, I'd suggest that you do at least two circles.In the solid boxes, just quilt inside each box with smaller and smaller boxes. On the rest, do a stipple.