Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Borders needed...looking for ideas >

Borders needed...looking for ideas

Borders needed...looking for ideas

Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

The trick to adding really large borders to get quilts a size you want them without having the quilt end up looking like that is what was done is to incorporate the border into the quilt either with piecing, applique or quilting. I really like Madquilter's idea of doing some vine and flower applique in the fabrics you used in the quilt. It would definitely add to the quilt's beauty and be in keeping with the style. If you are a confident quilter, I like doing extra wide borders to use as a canvas for my quilting. But I have never gone as wide as 15". Anyway you may wish to consider leaving some of your extra wide border just plain cream instead of the 4" round if you want to do some wonderful quilting. Here are links to examples I have done:
This border was 12" wide
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543642[/ATTACH]

On this border I combined the two into one with the quilting. I think the two combined measured at least 12" but I believe it was more:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543643[/ATTACH]

On this quilt I modified the pattern and made the border to measure 9" instead of the 4" so I could basically "quilt an applique design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543644[/ATTACH]

And my most recent quilt the quilting I had planned most definitely dictated the border size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543645[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cat-quilt-border-4.jpg   dsc05033.jpg   dsc05433.jpg   dsc05587.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
From what I am seeing I myself would do another little bit wider cream and another little wider piano key like you have. If it is still not large enough maybe another cream and bind it with a multi color that is in the quilt. Just my opinion. I like this quilt! Oh and I am thinking what you have already is the top of the bed and the other borders hang down?
Right, Donna. This is the top, and the rest will be hanging down the sides. Thanks for your ideas!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

After the cream, I would go with the blue, and then another of cream and the red.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
KLO

I really like what feline fanatic did with her quilt in the second photo. Since you mentioned that the top you showed would cover the top of your bed, I think adding two wide borders of the dark red and dark blue and quilting them as one would show off your top and be lovely around the sides of your bed. Of course this is all predicated on the idea that you would want to quilt a big border like that on your machine. I hope you can as fanatic's quilt is beautiful!

Oops, forgot to mention that your top is beautiful also. Love the colors!

Last edited by KLO; 02-28-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 AM

While we're at it, I'd love to see more pictures of your sewing room! It looks like you've got some very good storage ideas. The soft clean design on your quilt is lovely and the colors are perfect.
I, personally think the vine and flower idea on two corners would be the answer to your question about border design.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 AM

I would add another set of blocks top and sides.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM

I like your top, it looks very warm and inviting. I agree with duplicating what you have. Do a wider cream border and another piano border in the same width. If you still need more width, do another cream and then a scrappy binding with all the leftovers. You can make the top and bottom a bit more narrow than the sides. (These numbers are based on your strips looking like they are 2" finished.) It would work out to do a 4" cream and 4" piano on the top and bottom (do 5" on the sides) followed by a 2" cream at top and bottom (I would keep the sides at 2" or max 2 1/2") and then a binding. I believe this would still look balanced even though it is different.