Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CutterPillar Glow Light Board >

CutterPillar Glow Light Board

CutterPillar Glow Light Board

Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Default CutterPillar Glow Light Board

Now that CutterPillar Glow Light Boards have been out a while I'm wondering what you think of them in terms of rotary cutting mats. My eyes requiring more light for accurate cuts and am wondering if this method of lighting would significantly help or not.

What light board size do you have?

I also see at https://sparrowquiltco.com/collectio...d-cutting-mats replacement mats are available. Do you like them?

Comments please.

Thank you!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM

That is super cool. I could really benefit from that. Tks for sharing.

Amazon has a better price on them.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 PM

FYI: Be sure to check company reviews first.

Sparrow Quilting Co. Domestic Free Motion Quilting Templates Ruler and Foot
Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Looks interesting ...
.... but I would sure want to try it before I bought.
Looking into the bright light is not something that I think my eyes could cope with.

Too, they look very expensive .... not that they are not worth it,
but I sure would want the proven experience before I even considered in investing.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see the Sparrow post when I was searching lit cutting mats today.

Luckily CutterPillar is a different company from the USA offering a lighted cutting board. I look forward to hearing from those who have used the CutterPillar product. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:01 AM

Our LQS had a demonstration of the CutterPillar a few weeks back and it is very nice...it is very thin and they offer different sizes but I cannot provide any feedback as I have resisted on buying any new toys at this time.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 AM

I have one; I really like it for paper piecing. The cutting mat is fine, but I don't use it as my primary cutting mat (too small). I use a yellow cutting mat, and find it much easier to see on than a green one. I noticed that the cut lines remain rather visible, so it might not last as long as other mats. It is nice and soft, though, so it cuts nicely and is easy on my rotary cutter blades.

Have you tried different colours of plain cutting mat? It might solve your problem, and cost less. If you have tried that, then the Cutterpillar Glow is a good idea. I have to turn the light level to it's lowest setting for cutting, so there is the option of making it even brighter if you need.

Hmm, just a thought... you could try buying just a replacement mat for the Cutterpillar Glow, and putting it over coloured bristol board from the dollar store. Then you would see if a coloured mat would do the trick, and how you feel about the Cutterpillar mat. If you decide you need more light, you can get the whole thing, and you will already gave a spare mat for it.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM

I have it and love it. Wonderful for applique.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:36 PM

Thanks Jennifer23 for the suggestions. I'll definitely check them out. Who makes the yellow cutting mat that you use?

You're correct I need to try the mat on a white board. If I'm clever enough, perhaps I could construct my own light box.

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
I have one; I really like it for paper piecing. The cutting mat is fine, but I don't use it as my primary cutting mat (too small). I use a yellow cutting mat, and find it much easier to see on than a green one. I noticed that the cut lines remain rather visible, so it might not last as long as other mats. It is nice and soft, though, so it cuts nicely and is easy on my rotary cutter blades.

Have you tried different colours of plain cutting mat? It might solve your problem, and cost less. If you have tried that, then the Cutterpillar Glow is a good idea. I have to turn the light level to it's lowest setting for cutting, so there is the option of making it even brighter if you need.

Hmm, just a thought... you could try buying just a replacement mat for the Cutterpillar Glow, and putting it over coloured bristol board from the dollar store. Then you would see if a coloured mat would do the trick, and how you feel about the Cutterpillar mat. If you decide you need more light, you can get the whole thing, and you will already gave a spare mat for it.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 AM

I have one and really like it. I take it to retreats which usually don't have great lighting and enjoy it. Everyone who has used it at the retreats likes it also.