Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: does anyone know what this mean?

Maybe it means OTL of the lining ???

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Amanda View Post
    I have a purse pattern, and in the cutting directions it tell me to: cut 4" OTL, what does OTL mean, I have no clue and have never seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    This is so sad. I get so tired of grocery people laying my change on the receipt and handing all of it to me. They can't count change either. You have to watch your change, and count it right there. I had a Sonic guy make wrong change to me not long ago. Everyone needs to stay on the soapbox!
    Oldtimers like me have this discussion constantly. Employees can no longer count change back. If the register didn't give them a read-out, they'd be clueless. And how do you feel about clerks (fast food, bank, retail stores, everywhere) saying "No problem" in response to your thanking them. Whatever happened to "you're welcome?"

On the Line ?? Just guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Amanda View Post
    I have a purse pattern, and in the cutting directions it tell me to: cut 4" OTL, what does OTL mean, I have no clue and have never seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    This is so sad. I get so tired of grocery people laying my change on the receipt and handing all of it to me. They can't count change either. You have to watch your change, and count it right there. I had a Sonic guy make wrong change to me not long ago. Everyone needs to stay on the soapbox!
    There's a place for the calculator, but it shouldn't mean your brain is in sleep mode while using it! You still need to be awake and use common sense. About a year ago, I had a checkout person actually count out in my hand change which totaled more then the single bill I gave to pay for my item! Then looked at me dumbfounded when I said "This can't be right." So I had to say, "Do you realize you gave me back in change more than I gave you to pay for that?" Obviously an incorrect number was entered into the cash register, but the employee mindlessly gave me what the register said to give me in change. Brain, off. Common sense, off. Did you ever hand them the change beyond the dollar value you owe, just after they punched the dollar amount into the register? (Example: You owe $18.02, hand them a $20 bill, then get the 2 cents out of your change compartment, and they've already punched $20.00 into the register.) Lol! Many are completely lost! and have no idea what to give you in change! Do it sometime on purpose, just for the laugh! The same danger exists when using a Garmin, or anything else similar. We have to stay alert!
    Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 03-26-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: need to add...

I would take it to mean "on the line"; but that is a new one.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Evidence of poor grammar is certainly obvious when viewing posts on other sites. It angers me to see the poor usage of there, their, etc. We learned usage at home. Mother was a stickler for good grammar, as she knew it. Also, manners, we were never allowed to say shut the door, it was close the door. God forbid we would say , "Shut up" to anyone. We could use "Be Quiet" instead. I must sound terribly antiquated to young people.

What is a "Garmin" ??? My OTL guess - off the length-- If the outside is folded down over the lining. the lining would be cut shorter? ..if it is a piece to be used to make handles..that would be about right.. I sometimes wonder what other letters mean. makes for lots of puzzles..(puzzles are supposed to wardoffalsheimers)LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    There's a place for the calculator, but it shouldn't mean your brain is in sleep mode while using it! You still need to be awake and use common sense. About a year ago, I had a checkout person actually count out in my hand change which totaled more then the single bill I gave to pay for my item! Then looked at me dumbfounded when I said "This can't be right." So I had to say, "Do you realize you gave me back in change more than I gave you to pay for that?" Obviously an incorrect number was entered into the cash register, but the employee mindlessly gave me what the register said to give me in change. Brain, off. Common sense, off. Did you ever hand them the change beyond the dollar value you owe, just after they punched the dollar amount into the register? (Example: You owe $18.02, hand them a $20 bill, then get the 2 cents out of your change compartment, and they've already punched $20.00 into the register.) Lol! Many are completely lost! and have no idea what to give you in change! Do it sometime on purpose, just for the laugh! The same danger exists when using a Garmin, or anything else similar. We have to stay alert!

I am with all of you, those abbreviations are puzzling to us who have learned spelling long ago. We are loosing so much without spelling and writing. Today, how can they tell if something is spelled wrong unless it is on the computer that tells them.
    I also hate signs that appear different places such as along the road. I catch myself talking to them and telling them to write what you want me to know, I can read.
    I worry about the younger generation.

Quote Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
    ...Outsmart the Lizard?...
    This is what I think it means. And if it doesn't, I want it to!

On the topic of grammar, spelling, change-making, and general other declining abilities: Today I was volunteering at my child's school and I had someone ask me to proofread something they had just written. I pointed out that she had used "compliment" when she meant "complement" and her response was "I'm sure nobody else will care either." (meaning the people to whom she was sending it). I was a bit taken aback...and I won't be proofreading for her again!!

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    This is what I think it means. And if it doesn't, I want it to!

On the topic of grammar, spelling, change-making, and general other declining abilities: Today I was volunteering at my child's school and I had someone ask me to proofread something they had just written. I pointed out that she had used "compliment" when she meant "complement" and her response was "I'm sure nobody else will care either." (meaning the people to whom she was sending it). I was a bit taken aback...and I won't be proofreading for her again!!

Alison
    Actually, I thought it was Oinks Too Loud!
    What you didn't tell us was whether this was a student? or adult? for whom you will never proofread for again!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast