Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dryer sheets for string quilts? >

dryer sheets for string quilts?

dryer sheets for string quilts?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I read they are extremely flammable and are a concern because many people are very allergic to them. they would not be a good choice for a baby or child's quilt.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't think phone books will be the downfall of landfills and I don't think a used washed dryer sheet will hurt anyone unless they are so allergic they can't be around anything. Most all fabrics in a home are highly flammable. I prefer the foundation papers from MSQC now for all my string piecing. Convenient and tears away easily. A pack of them lasts a long time.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Exactly and as far as dryer sheets go even the "Free dye and fragrance free sheets have some type of fragrance just not overwhelming. I use 'Seventh Generation" I can use 1/2 sheet for 2-3 loads. I have started using white distilled vinegar in the rinse. I have enough foundation for all kinds of piecing. I'm good for awhile. I have the papers from MSQC also.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't think phone books will be the downfall of landfills and I don't think a used washed dryer sheet will hurt anyone unless they are so allergic they can't be around anything. Most all fabrics in a home are highly flammable. I prefer the foundation papers from MSQC now for all my string piecing. Convenient and tears away easily. A pack of them lasts a long time.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I read they are extremely flammable and are a concern because many people are very allergic to them. they would not be a good choice for a baby or child's quilt.
Ooohhh... the flammability is a good point. They do make fragrance-free/dye-free dryer sheets (that's what I use on occasion to clean my iron -- or in a pinch if I ran out of liquid softener), but the other concern would be that if there's any fabric softener left in them. Fabric softener can damage cotton fabric over time which is why I always recommend against using it when washing quilts. I'm not sure how much is actually left in them after 1 run through the dryer, but I do know some frugal people who *swear* you can use them at least 3x before they stop working (I don't do that -- I guess I'm wasteful .
I guess the moral is ... use with caution. People have been using dryer sheets for a while now so perhaps as long as you aren't smoking in bed, aren't gifting the quilt to a child, and don't consider it an heirloom-quality quilt, you should be fine. Then again, there was a time where Frixion pens were all the rage. Only time will tell.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I buy the cheapest non scented dryer sheets I can find. They don't last but one time. The higher priced ones, the scent will last 3 times but not the static control. I put the used ones in a jar and when it's full I wash them with a load of whites with bleach. I take them to guild for those that like to use them for applique. No one has ever said they aggravate their allergy and a few are allergic to every smell possible.

LOL. I still use the Frixon pens and the first quilts I used them on show no damage at all. I don't care if my quilts don't last for generations. The future generations can make their own quilts.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-16-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:44 PM

Seven reasons not to use dryer sheets!
http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post...er-sheets.html
Old 05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

And a lot of those essential oils she talks about will cause some asthmatics to go into an attack. I still use camphor on some wounds. I use the Seventh generation dryer sheets. I can get 3 loads out of 1/2 sheet and the anti-static still works. I also use white distilled vinegar. Those scented sheets are treated with man made chemicals to produce the scent in the dryer sheets. I don't use them. I tried the wool balls. Not impressed.
Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Seven reasons not to use dryer sheets!
http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post...er-sheets.html
Old 05-16-2016, 03:39 PM

I use dryer sheets, fortunately no one in my family has an allergy. Once I found how great they work to clean the starch off a hot iron I keep them. For a while I was having problem with the starch build up on my iron and it was leaving marks on my clothes. Someone here mentioned they used the dyer sheets to help clean her hot iron, I tried it and it worked like a charm. So now I keep an old tissue box in my sewing room stuffed with dryer sheets. When I start to iron with starch I pull out a dryer sheet and every few minutes I spray the dryer sheet with water, run my hot iron over it a few times and then go back to ironing the shirt or fabric. The dryer sheets haven't melted or caught fire. I haven't tried them for foundations.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Those of you that use dryer sheets, please be sure to wash your lint filter out really well, as the dryer sheets will leave a film on them, that the air cannot go through and can cause a fire. Myself, I use liquid fabric softener, but I still wash my lint filter really well with soap and water.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
Those of you that use dryer sheets, please be sure to wash your lint filter out really well, as the dryer sheets will leave a film on them, that the air cannot go through and can cause a fire. Myself, I use liquid fabric softener, but I still wash my lint filter really well with soap and water.
I don't use the dryer sheets for the above reason and the fact that a repairman once told me that lint can also migrate into the part of the dryer that turns the tub, causing it to freeze up and burn out......who knows....if I remember, I will add to washer...if not, no big deal.....oh, I do miss hanging clothes out to dry......jj

for string quilts...I have used gift wrapping tissue paper, phone books, "reports" of my stock porfoliio, and adding machine tape.....fun for skinny Chinese coin column quilt......used msqc sheets too, .......whatever is handy when I get the urge!

Last edited by Geri B; 05-17-2016 at 08:24 AM.