Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbest quilt move ever!! Can you top this

Got back to quilting today, and I'm just zipping along attaching my binding, which was starched enought to stand alone, when I got to the ends and tried to insert them together lo and behold I SEWED THE WHOLE THING ON BACKWARDS. I have done some pretty dumb things but this one takes the cake. I'll be spending the rest of the night ripping. Oh well at least I'm back doing something. :roll:

oooohhh, I never work on putting the ends together until I have 3/4 of the binding sewed on. Can you add more to the binding and then cut it to size?

Oooooo....you mean you sewed the finished edge to the front and then the raw edges would have wrapped to the back? Eek! I think I would have said some ugly words! :shock: Thank goodness for seam rippers!

Blog Entries
    Hah...I'm just sooo happy to have someone join MY club! I could NOT believe I ever did something soooo stupid...but...you beat me...cause you admitted it! :lol: :lol: I didn't want you to feel too bad though..so yes, I did the same thing. Don't worry any evening of spending time with the frog (rip-it) and you'll forget about it pretty soon. :roll:

Oh yeah, completely done, with bea-u-t-ful miters the whole yards. Got to the edges and realized it was the pressed side sewn down. I was having a lot of trouble working with this since it was black binding and for some reason I was having a hard time seeing the fold even when I was pressing it. Oh well, live and learn, just won the stupid OSCAR for quilting.
    Again this still is a happy day that I can do it even if it was @#%%backwards. :lol:

I'm not sure how you are pressing and doing your binding. I cut mine to 2 1/4 inches, fold in half and press. I put the raw edge to the raw edge of the quilt and sew. I leave a long tail at the beginning so when I am about 3/4 of the way or a little more, I cut it to size, sew together and finish sewing it on.

I hope that all made sense. LOL

Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.

Ooooh, so sorry! :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by harrishwhippets
    Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.
    ROFLMAO! I know it isn't funny, but I have done dumb stuff myself so I can imagine your frustration. I'm laughing with you, not at you. Blacks are so hard to see anyway. Would love to see the quilt when you are finished. I'm sure it is beautiful. ((((HUGS))))

Sorry, but I'm laughing so hard! I've always feared I'd do that! I'm glad you took care of it for me! I would help you "unsew" if I was near!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast