Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

I went to an estate sale on Friday, and picked up what looks like fabric that was matched for a project. I liked most of the fabrics in it, and figured I would see if I could come up with something that would look nice. It's about 1m of fabric total, and I'm a rank amateur quilter. (I usually tell people I'm an "almost has begun" quilter. My first quilt (an out of control lap quilt) is currently a UFO (awaiting binding), so I do need a relatively easy quilt block to try. Maybe something with half square triangles?
    Those don't -completely- terrify me... but should stretch my skill set.

I really enjoy FMQ, though I'm definitely "learning" at that too.

What would you do with these fabrics?

Name:  IMG_5333.jpg
Views: 5172
Size:  121.1 KB
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.
    I was sort of thinking disappearing nine patch too, the ladies in our sewing circle are making some quilts using that block for charity quilts. I might have even been thinking of that when I laid the fabric out for the photo, and not realized it.

I wouldn't even be adverse to losing the yellow altogether, that and maybe the ferns at the bottom. I find they seem to stand out too much to my eye, like the pattern's too "big", so I like your idea of minimizing them in the middle too.

What if I did a sampler of several blocks?

I like the Churn Dash, I didn't know that one by name so I googled it. There was a neat "liberated" churn dash when I googled too.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    I think the batik leaves were what caught my attention at the sale too. The one in the upper left is kind of fun too, it's all leaves in various colors.

I was told by a lady who owns a quilt shop that you shouldn't mix batiks with regular quilt fabric because of differing thread counts. Am I going to run into issues with this?
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

I have to say I would also do a DP9. Great fabric!!!

I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!

You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison

I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!
    LOL! crooked is often easier for me to manage than straight. I wonder how forgiving it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison
    No problem.I'm a "washer". I put "color catchers" on the shopping list this evening too. We usually wash most things in cold, so if I keep it, it's not a problem. If I give it away, I'll tell the person who gets it so they don't pull a weird multicolored ball out of the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.
    I think I like the D9 better than the turning 20.... I found this one on craftsy.... thoughts?
    http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...-9-patch/43745

Am I just getting too complex?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast