Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

I went to an estate sale on Friday, and picked up what looks like fabric that was matched for a project. I liked most of the fabrics in it, and figured I would see if I could come up with something that would look nice. It's about 1m of fabric total, and I'm a rank amateur quilter. (I usually tell people I'm an "almost has begun" quilter. My first quilt (an out of control lap quilt) is currently a UFO (awaiting binding), so I do need a relatively easy quilt block to try. Maybe something with half square triangles?
    Those don't -completely- terrify me... but should stretch my skill set.

I really enjoy FMQ, though I'm definitely "learning" at that too.

What would you do with these fabrics?

Name:  IMG_5333.jpg
Views: 5161
Size:  121.1 KB
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    "In this age of information, ignorance is a choice".

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Disappearing 9 Patch in which case I'd use the yellow for the center so it doesn't overpower everything else. Or possibly pinwheels if you add a light background color. Or maybe Churn dash, again adding a light background.
    I was sort of thinking disappearing nine patch too, the ladies in our sewing circle are making some quilts using that block for charity quilts. I might have even been thinking of that when I laid the fabric out for the photo, and not realized it.

I wouldn't even be adverse to losing the yellow altogether, that and maybe the ferns at the bottom. I find they seem to stand out too much to my eye, like the pattern's too "big", so I like your idea of minimizing them in the middle too.

What if I did a sampler of several blocks?

I like the Churn Dash, I didn't know that one by name so I googled it. There was a neat "liberated" churn dash when I googled too.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    I don't know what to make but the fabric is really pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Oh I love that batik on the right with the leaves. Very pretty.
    I think the batik leaves were what caught my attention at the sale too. The one in the upper left is kind of fun too, it's all leaves in various colors.

I was told by a lady who owns a quilt shop that you shouldn't mix batiks with regular quilt fabric because of differing thread counts. Am I going to run into issues with this?
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

I have to say I would also do a DP9. Great fabric!!!

I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!

You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison

I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I googled the liberated churn dash since I'd never heard of it. Looks like an inebriated churn dash to me!
    LOL! crooked is often easier for me to manage than straight. I wonder how forgiving it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    You'll have no problems mixing batiks with "regular" fabrics. I would counsel doing a colour fastness test (I'd just wash 'em myself...but let's not get THAT topic going again). I think you've got a great combination of colours and fabrics, but I don't have a pattern suggestion, just really like them!

Alison
    No problem.I'm a "washer". I put "color catchers" on the shopping list this evening too. We usually wash most things in cold, so if I keep it, it's not a problem. If I give it away, I'll tell the person who gets it so they don't pull a weird multicolored ball out of the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    I would do the D9 or maybe a variation of the turning 20.
    I think I like the D9 better than the turning 20.... I found this one on craftsy.... thoughts?
    http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...-9-patch/43745

Am I just getting too complex?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast