Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caspharm

Unfortunately, it is the trickle down effect and like someone else said, the LQS's are not volume buyers, but even the big buyers are raising prices. That said there are still sources, especially online, that have good sales.
yep even here on QB...just a few months ago you could find good buys at around $3-$4 yd. now it is $6 for mostly the older walmart fabrics that were never more than $3yd brand new!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Okay I know we all are on a budget. Some more so than others BUT! Think about the shops on-line and brick and Mortar, do they set the prices of fabric? No! Do they have to pay for rent, heat and electric as well as staff? Yes! Would they all love to have sales to get people to buy? Absolutely! Why do we complain about something we have no control over? Why do we wait for the shop to post the closing sales before we go into the shop and buy fabric? Why do we lament over so many shops closing? It only takes many small purchases to save a quilt shop! It takes no purchases for days at a time to kill one! Support your local quilt shops or be prepared to shop on-line all the time! Just my Humble Opinion on the matter! Thanks for listening! Luann in CT were 3 quilt shops closed in in past 6 months!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 AM

I saw this increase in fabrics. I am on a fixed income. I figured who I wanted to make a quilt for. Figured a pattern I would like and DH figured how much fabric I would need. I have purchased here and there and have just about all I need for these quilts. I don't have the backs yet, but, when I get backs there is usually an amount left that I can work into another quilt. I don't hear too many people mentioning fabric backs to be used in the actuall quilt. Backs are somewhat more reasonable
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 AM

I buy alot on line. I've been getting some great deals on ebay. kona solids for $4.00 yard. phillyfabrics has good deals on batiks. It's alwas cut pieses, around 2 yards. Some times it's a quilter trying to reduce there stash. i only buy at LQS if it's really special ot on sale. I try to support them through classes, thread and batting.
Vicky
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crafterrn1
Support your local quilt shops or be prepared to shop on-line all the time! Just my Humble Opinion on the matter! Thanks for listening! Luann in CT were 3 quilt shops closed in in past 6 months!
Luann..it takes way more than a few small purchases to keep a shop open. I know, all I had was those small purchases. THe average 1K sq ft shop needs to make about $1,000.00 day in sales just to break even!

Many small shops are closing due to over population of shops...lack of control on their spending, mismanagement, and a vast array of other reasons. It is just always easiest to blame the economy, walmart, or online shops!

For the record, many of us here do not live anywhere close to a LQS,(let alone 3 of them) so if we do not like the big box chain stores, we rely on the online shops. AND many of the online shops that I use are either B&M shops, or used to be B&M shops!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1
Okay I know we all are on a budget. Some more so than others BUT! Think about the shops on-line and brick and Mortar, do they set the prices of fabric? No! Do they have to pay for rent, heat and electric as well as staff? Yes! Would they all love to have sales to get people to buy? Absolutely! Why do we complain about something we have no control over? Why do we wait for the shop to post the closing sales before we go into the shop and buy fabric? Why do we lament over so many shops closing? It only takes many small purchases to save a quilt shop! It takes no purchases for days at a time to kill one! Support your local quilt shops or be prepared to shop on-line all the time! Just my Humble Opinion on the matter! Thanks for listening! Luann in CT were 3 quilt shops closed in in past 6 months!
*applause*
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Cotton prices increased.............even JoAnn's fabric has increased. I wanted to purchase T-shirts for DH at Kohls, $45.00 for a package..............they were white but should of been gold.........no, I didn't get them at this time............calla
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Get used to it, with the drought I am guessing it will be more expensive next year. :-)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Very well put and very true on both of your posts. You have to stock up and keep stocking up. I keep approximately 2-4 months food supply at any given time for all of my family that live near me, with the exeption of eggs, milk, butter and cheese. I do have powder versions of most of those.
Plus, I keep a well stocked fabric shelf and buy wholesale by the bolt when I can!

Originally Posted by BarbM32
I am looking at my soon to be 80thBD so I remember the Depression, no jobs, no money, doing WITHOUT, breadlines, homemade everything if you were fortunate to have the basics. This is what we are being promised now.
All I can say is stock up your fabrics, your groceries if you can, prices will increase, stores will close and jobs will be fewer. Unemployment will affect everyone somehow. My FIL supported his entire family, parents, siblings and his own immediate family. He was the only one with a job and it was with the railroad making $200 a month.
When I closed my fabrics stores a few years back my husband insisted I save too much fabrics. Since then I've had a couple of sales for a $1 yd for at the time I purchased was high price fabric. I still have more pieces than the fabric shops. Watching our sad economy I intend to enjoy what I have left. While I would love to have newly designed fabrics I just buy a fat quarter or two and be thankful I have on hand what I do. So sorry to rain on your coffee this AM but it has been raining very hard here and all night long, yeh, yeh, yeh, we need it.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM

If you shop on-line try Marshals Dry Goods in Batesville, Ar. Large stock, wholesale and retail and good quality. Now they do have their junk bins that off the street can purchase. I picked up some for backing or scrapping but prefer the quality of their first class bolts for all kinds of sewing and quilting. Love to go there for fabrics, mostly kid stuff that I do not have. I try to buy a few things from my LQS that I definitely prefer over Wal-Mart or JoAnn.