Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmer's Wife 1930's errata and templates >

Farmer's Wife 1930's errata and templates

Farmer's Wife 1930's errata and templates

Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Farmer's Wife 1930's errata and templates

One of my goals now that I am retired is to do a quilt using the Farmer's Wife 1930's book. I understand there were several errata in the original book. I have the book that states there are
99 blocks, not 94 so I think I have the corrected book and CD.
Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, those that have attempted this have you used any of the available templates out there for this project? (I think Marti Mitchell has a set.) I was on the net and it confused me even more as to the choices out there. Any and all input appreciated!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

here is a quilt along done previously here,,, it may give you some info about it The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along
Old 04-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Reading the reviews of the book on Amazon (I usually find 3-star reviews are the most informative) should give you some information. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Farmers-Wife-...dp/1440241465/

Also, if you scroll down among the reviews, you will find a search box that will allow you to search through the reviews on a key word or phrase. For example, I did a search on Marti that brought up two reviews that mention the Marti Michell templates. You could also do a search on just the word templates to find additional reviews that mention the templates printed from the CD.

Edit: When you scroll down on the page, the words you see in blue boxes (right before the customer reviews start) are quick searches of the reviews. Templates is one of the words in the blue boxes.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-18-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:19 AM

Hi Nessie, enjoy your retirement! I have nothing to add because I just have the book with the CD. I decided it was to much for me! Lol
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Several of us that did the original trail trip are still on aboard here. PM me for any questions about FW1930. You do not need to order any templates to make the quilt. The CD lets you print out the templates or paper piecing info. I did both on Carol Doak' paper piecing paper. For the templates, most of us used the light cardboard packages at Wal Mart and glued on the templates with cement glue. I kept everything organized by using a two inch large notebook with plastic pouches arranged by the number of the block. Putting in the printed pages of template + paper piecing first, then cutting out the next twenty or so templates, gluing onto light cardboard, letting them dry several hours, then carefully cutting them out with paper scissors. With a small paper punch, I punched holes where the sew lines crossed one another and marked them as I traced them onto the fabric. I marked with colored pens, 'cause none of the markings will show up when the blocks are sewn together. Again on each step, I stored them in the plastic cover in the notebook.

Hope this experienced advice helps you to get started on the 'right foot'. Enjoy each step and the final results. I can hardly wait to see your blocks and quilt.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Some used EQ7 or EQ 8 and resized the blocks for EW1930. I did not 'cause it changes too many things, like the size of the quilt.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM

You can download the corrections to the book here. Can't hurt to compare
with your book.

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/erra...uilting-daily/
Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone! Very helpful suggestions. Usually I do read the reviews of books but didn't think to do that since I already have the book. Don't think I'll abandon it because it is something I have been wanting to do for a long time, but I truly didn't know where to begin. I'll keep you posted!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Nesie, just wanted to point out that Marti Michell has no "t" in her last name. I don't mean to be picky, but her name is a bit unusual.

I'm in awe of anyone undertaking such an ambitious project! Hope you'll post pictures as you go along.