Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fees for Teaching >

Fees for Teaching

Fees for Teaching

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Fees for Teaching

Hello, I live in Upstate NY, the Finger Lakes region. I am thinking of starting to teach quilting and sewing. Starting with table runners and simple bags/tote bags. I how would I figure my teaching fees for the area of NY that I live in.

thank-you DonnaF268
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Welcome to the board.

You need to figure out all your overheads first.

Where will you be teaching - hire of room/hall or own house? If at home, will you need extra home-owners insurance in case someone breaks something or hurts themselves?
Would they be bringing their own machine or are you providing them? What about materials - will they supply all these themselves or will this be included in the cost?
How many would you be teaching at a time?

Lots of things to consider before you can set a price. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 AM

I think it depends on a lot of factors. I'm teaching a class to friends and am only asking $10 a person to cover workbooks and samples - but I got a great deal on a room and am doing it more for fun. If I continue this class monthly or even bi-weekly I may have to up the cost. Now, I taught a paper piecing class at a local quilt shop at the fee was $20 per person plus they had to buy the pattern and materials. Half of that class fee went to me and the other half to the shop owner. Another was a hand quilting class and the fee was $15. NOW - I took an applique class at the library and it was $3 per person. SO - fees vary depending on what the class involves, what materials will be needed to run the class, and how much overhead has to be balanced out. Obviously I can charge a lot less teaching on my own than at a quilt shop because I don't have to make money for the shop! But when I rent a room to teach I have to cover the cost of the room and supplies to teach and if I want to make something hourly I have to figure that in too. If fees get to extravagant it deters people from attending.

Not an easy question to answer here! Good luck to you!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:44 AM

You might check out the going rate for classes at the quilt shops in your general area.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Are you even sure there is a viable market in your area for such services? The Finger Lakes has an active guild that offers classes and such to members. http://www.lake2lakequiltguild.com/index.htm
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Hi Donna,

Welcome! I also live in the Finger Lakes Region in NY. In the past I have taught classes locally. Unfortunately, I just don't have much time for it now. I would suggest getting in touch with the local quilt shops and see if they have a need for new teachers. Maybe make an appointment to talk to the shop owner and bring samples of your work. What shop you are teaching for often determines fees. For instance, one shop I worked for tacked on $5 to my per person fee of $20 to cover the cost of electricity - so the cost for the class was $25. Another shop I taught for did not add anything to the per person fee, as the workshop got customers in the door and of course they bought while they were there. Yet another shop would not charge any more than $25 per person, no matter what the class was.

You might also consider getting newsletters from area shops, they will tell you what the shops are charging for classes and what the market will bear.

Another bonus to teaching at local shops is that they do the advertizing for you. Class samples made out of fabrics carried in the shops always peaks an interest. I taught a purse class for one shop and they insisted I use fabrics that were in their shop. I could either buy the fabric and keep the sample when done, or they would provide me with the materials for the sample and I would make it, but it would be their property.

Hope this information helps in some way. Good luck to you!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Another way of looking at it -

What would you be willing to pay for one of the classes you are thinking about teaching?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 PM

thanks for all the replies. yes I am looking to teach at a quilt shop, not as an independent teacher. I want to be ready with an idea for a fee if I am asked to teach. again thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM

In the central Calif area there are different prices. The lowest is $25. At some the teacher gets it all and at others, the store takes a %. Some LQS will allow cancel of class at a minimum level. Others don't. Guilds with local teachers usually charge $25. Unless you have a following, 4 people in the class is a good size. Some guilds are taking teaching seriously and offer out of the area teachers at $50-$65 for 6-8 hours. The cost of putting on the class and lecture at the guild meeting can by up to $1600 so often the guild absorbs some of the cost.

I love teaching classes. The adult students learn a lot from each other, have more fun in the class with 3+ in the class. I have a minimum of 2-3 and charge $40/student. I get the whole fee. The class set up allows 10 students.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:42 AM

It hard to say on what to charge. There are so many free classes on line. Sadly many are starting to charge. I was lucky enough to learn from so many for free...if not I probably would not have started quilting. I am so happy that there are so many willing to share their love of quilting and knowlege to others.