Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilt without a frame >

Hand Quilt without a frame

Hand Quilt without a frame

Old 11-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I use a hoop and start in the middle..works for me. Google hand quilting...you can get a wealth of information. As far as the book being worth it, why not go to your local library and see if they can get you a copy to check out first.
That's what I plan to do. The Dewey number is 746.46 so they should be able to locate it for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can look at the book and see her instructions.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 AM

I buy a fair amount of used books on Amazon.com, I looked for you.....no deals there...boy thats one expensive book.
I say just dive in and learn as you go. Just make sure the quilt is well basted or pinned and yes start in the center.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
I buy a fair amount of used books on Amazon.com, I looked for you.....no deals there...boy thats one expensive book.
I say just dive in and learn as you go. Just make sure the quilt is well basted or pinned and yes start in the center.
That's what I'm going to do. Just make sure it's basted/pinned really well. Thanks for checking on price for me. That's what I found & evidently the book is only 60 pages. Being out of print makes it more expensive but definitely NOT necessary for that price.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 AM

I personally would spend that money on more backing or fabric. I use plastic clamps from Lowe's Hardware Store to clamp the backing first to my cutting table (can't and won't get on my knees anymore and saves my back too) then lay down the batting and smooth and clamp it down then the top. I then pin generously and move the whole thing as I need to(making sure there are no wrinkles in the backing as I go) and continue until the whole quilt is generously (key word) pin basted and then I remove the quilt, get comfortable and start at the center and work my way out to the edges. Works for me...lol!

When I do the sandwiching like this I start in the center and work my way out to the edges. Yes it takes a lot of pins but it is worth it because when you are done quilting you don't have to spend time taking out the pins. You remove them as you quilt.

Last edited by lfw045; 11-26-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: left out a tip
Old 11-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I was taught to quilt on a small lap frame of PVC pipe-about 12 inch square. EZ snap I think is the name. First i mark the quilt with quilting design then I layer the quilt then baste together with a "X" and a "+" and around edges. Then I put my frame in the center of the quilt, pull it on to my lap and quilt from the center out. When I move the frame I move it up (showing a small amount of what is already quilted) and quilt to the edge. After reaching the edge, I go back to center and move down. Now the quilt has a quilted stripe down the center. I move back to center and move right to edge. Then back to center and quilt left to edge. Now quilt show a quilted "+" dividing the quilt into quarters. Still starting at center I quilt quarter to right then quarter to left on bottom half then top left quarter and finally top right. Been doing this 30 years and done numerous quilts. It's the only way I know how to quilt. I dont own a frame. Just a recliner and a 12 inch frame LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Maybe you can find the book at the library?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
I personally would spend that money on more backing or fabric. I use plastic clamps from Lowe's Hardware Store to clamp the backing first to my cutting table (can't and won't get on my knees anymore and saves my back too) then lay down the batting and smooth and clamp it down then the top. I then pin generously and move the whole thing as I need to(making sure there are no wrinkles in the backing as I go) and continue until the whole quilt is generously (key word) pin basted and then I remove the quilt, get comfortable and start at the center and work my way out to the edges. Works for me...lol!

When I do the sandwiching like this I start in the center and work my way out to the edges. Yes it takes a lot of pins but it is worth it because when you are done quilting you don't have to spend time taking out the pins. You remove them as you quilt.
Thanks for the advice. I need to go to Lowe's and find the clamps. My space for laying out the quilt to sandwich is small (2 tables pushed together) so it sounds like this would be a good way for me to sandwich my quilts. I've tried taping the backing to the tables but the tape doesn't seem to hold the material tightly enough. So, this is what I'll do when my quilt top is finished (probably early spring). Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Me Too. Getting old sure is not fun. LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
Thanks for the advice. I need to go to Lowe's and find the clamps. My space for laying out the quilt to sandwich is small (2 tables pushed together) so it sounds like this would be a good way for me to sandwich my quilts. I've tried taping the backing to the tables but the tape doesn't seem to hold the material tightly enough. So, this is what I'll do when my quilt top is finished (probably early spring). Thanks again!!!!
You're welcome! Here's a link to the clamps I have. I use all of them sometimes on one quilt. They are assorted sizes but it's the most for the money...lol!
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
Have any of you hand quilters seen or own the book "Hand Quilt Without a Frame" by Barbara Schaffeld? If so, what is your opinion--worth the price or not?
I'm not familiar with that book, but Suzanne Marshall hand quilted many award winning quilts without a frame. She says the trick is to heavily baste the quilt. You can see some of her quilts at ...

http://www.suzannequilts.com/suzanne...t/Welcome.html