Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM

We had one here in Toronto (they have since closed, wonder why). It was my LQS & I ended up only going in an emergency, they had absolutely no people skills.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM

We have only one Hancock now, in Merritt Island. They are all very friendly, but they have cut back on their budget and they have very few people on the floor which means waiting forever for cutting and cashier. I usually go with friends so we can chat while we wait.
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Yes. Our Hancock's store is the most unfriendliest place I have ever seen in my life. All of the workers there act like you are interrupting them by coming into the store.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM

I go to the Kerrville TX quilt store all the time and everyone is so helpful and friendly. People from all over the area come to that shop.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by NanaInVirginia
I now think that the shop ladies just wait to be asked so that they don't "bother" shoppers who prefer to be left alone.
That's my personal preference. I don't care what kind of store iti s I hate being bombarded with a sales person/employee as soon as I get in the door. If I need help or can't find something, I'll ask. It's nice to have a "hi, welcome to......" when I walk in but not someone at my side asking a ton of questions about what I'm looking for or needing. Most of the time I'm just browsing anyway. ;)

To the original poster - sorry you drove so far to feel the way you do. That's a bummer. :(
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Unfortunately, yes. There was a LQS in Indian Trail, NC that I absolutely LOVED. Very warm, friendly always welcoming. Sadly, that shop is now closed. There is another LQS just a few miles down the road in Matthews. It's nice, but it never had the warm atmosphere of the other shop. I would rather drive down to Waxhaw (about 20 miles further for me) to another LQS because they are so friendly. In defense of the LQS in Matthews, the last time I was there, the sales staff was quick to help me and the owner is a very nice lady.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!
I live right down the road from Rainbow's End - and refuse to go into it. Although a very large shop - atmosphere was very chilly (not a/c) - was hard to find someone to answer my questions.

That being said, I have never seen that much fabric in any one place at one time - awesome fabric but poor service makes me just drive by it, while looking the other way
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Having a bad day is no excuse for giving poor service or to be a jerk. Suck it up, having a bad day is just part of living. The girls that were talking about their customers should have been fired, no excuse or tolerance should be permitted for that kind of rude behavior. It's NEVER ok to make someone feel bad or uncomfortable, it's not cute or funny, it's rude and truly shows what jerks those girls were and I would have told the manager right then. Don't like dealing with the public? Get a different job period!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the info. We'll be visiting DD on Merritt Is next mo. I'm always so busy there, haven't checked out the quilt shops.The one in Rockledge sounds good. I love good fabric on clearance.

Originally Posted by quilter1943
We have only one Hancock now, in Merritt Island. They are all very friendly, but they have cut back on their budget and they have very few people on the floor which means waiting forever for cutting and cashier. I usually go with friends so we can chat while we wait.
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Yes. Our Hancock's store is the most unfriendliest place I have ever seen in my life. All of the workers there act like you are interrupting them by coming into the store.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM

I, too, feel the same way about Rainbow's End. I also live right up the main road from there and was SO EXCITED to find out that I had such a huge quilt shop near me (we've only been here a little over a year.) Then I went there and was so disappointed.

Now I used to work in CS so I know ppl can have a bad day, so I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. I knew I'd be back at some point. Well, my in-laws were visiting this past weekend, so I thought I'd take my MIL over there to see if it was "just me" or what.

Nope. Not me. I told her before we went in that the lady behind the counter never acknowledges me - not to say hi, not to ask if I need anything, not to speak of the weather - nothing. I asked her to pay attention and see if she did better this time. My MIL even spoke to her as we came in, and still NOTHING.

She did speak to me as I was paying for some clearance fabric, though. She said "Sign this." :(

I did have one nice experience, sort of - the lady who cut the fabric was really nice to me the first time I went. Since I'm a newbie, I was asking about classes and she told me about their newsletter and website (also not much attention paid to those...) I asked her if they had the Moda Lollipop line, and since it was new at the time, the fabric cutting lady asked another lady on the floor if they had it. She barked back, and I quote, "No. And we're not getting it, either!"

This weekend, pretty much all of them were snotty to me.

I was at Joann's on Curlew Rd (closest to me) this week, too, and there's one fabric cutter who is younger and SO NICE. I didn't see her, though - I saw an older lady whose name I won't mention, but it's also the name of a big makeup company. She was worse than a snot, more like a "rhymes with witch" - I can't get over how ppl are still employed who act like that, when so many ppl are trying to find jobs. :(

I need to find the shop in Clearwater, I guess. Hobby Lobby in NPR just doesn't have enough fabric to make me happy.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
I used to be a Realtor and someone in our agency refused to show a house to a doctor who had been doing lawn work . . . There is a great lesson to be learned in all of that.

Originally Posted by jeank
How can a shop owner know what you can afford by the way you are dressed?

One time, in our town, a man stopped into the car dealer in bib overalls and was treated poorly. Little did the salesperson know he was a multi millionare. He had run into town to the tractor dealer for a part and decided to look at cars.
Same thing here, our son went to buy a truck at a dealer in town. They assumed he couldn't afford it. Their jaws hit the floor when he pulled 10 grand out of his pocket and walked off....LOL