Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM

I agree with the woman who said you need to let the owner know about this. However, I used to work part time at a LQS & it was the store owner who was the problem! She would have at least 1 employee in tears a week. I finally walked off the job after being told I was too friendly. I guess greeting the customers and asking them if they needed any help was not the right way to treat people! (said very tongue in cheek!) I wish I had a dollar for every customer who told me later how much I was missed, which sure helped me deal with the hurt and anger about how I was treated by her.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by darleneerickson
capitol quilts in gaithersburg, md is a very unfriendly shop. Maybe if you spend thousands they are nice????

darlene
I shop there too and have taken some classes, and haven't found it unfriendly. One of the regular staff helped me pick out fabrics for a quilt and spent quite a bit of time with me to make sure I was happy. The owner and her husband always greet me (and other customers) nicely. I will admit the store is a little on the quiet side as it isn't always packed with customer's but I like that the staff lets you browse to your hearts content in "peace" and just occasionally checks on you to see if you need anything. JMO
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I have been to some shops that were not very welcoming or pleasant. I try to give my business to those shops that are friendly and pleasant. I only frequent the shops that are NOT nice only if I absolutely have to.
ditto
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Having taught Total Quality Management and Customer Service classes for a few years ago I found it to be true that: When we have a bad experience we will tell everyone, when we have a good experience we might tell one or two if anyone. The only way we can improve customer service in this country is by telling the ones that give us bad service. This is true for LQS, restaurant or any other business we deal with. I was visiting a LQS last month as my DW and I was traveling and ask about a local restaurant for lunch. I was told about a place just around the corner. We had lunch there and it was bad ill prepared just not a pleasant lunch. The waitress ask about our meals and told her it was not good. When we went to pay we were ask about our meal. My DW said I am glad you ask and we both explained what was wrong the manager (owner) said there would be no charge. I did expect that but I would think things would improve. I have also ask for a manager and told him how good his staff was. So it works both ways. Let us all work to improve customer service. If I do something wrong tell me if I do something right tell everyone. Just my thoughts.
Exactly, I agree with you 100%
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM

The one I went to last year, she got a little pissy because I didn't buy her $1300.00 machine. I bought the same one online for a lot less.

However, a couple weeks ago we were in Eugene, Or. and stumbled across a neat little shop called "The Quilt Patch". What a joy to go into, the ladies there were all laughing, chatting and took time to say hello and offer any help. I think next time we head over that way I am gonna stop in.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by fixfido
Absolutely, and I think it's so weird. I've been to shops where the employees are almost quilt "snobs" who seem to size you up the minute you walk through the door. I hope these store owners realize that people rarely spend money where they feel unwelcome or unwanted.
My experience also. But we do have the last word when we slam our wallets shut.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM

We have very few shops to choose from in our area. One shop closed and moved to Ohio. The ladies who worked there were friendly but you could tell who the regulars were very quickly. The other big store is hit or miss on being friendly. The first time I went, I felt like I was in their way by asking them to cut some fabric. I have gone back a couple times, bu only when they have something I need and can't find elsewhere.

Two new shops opened up recently. The first is less than 5 minutes from my home. They badmouthed the other 2 quilt stores and that made me very uncomfortable. The other shop that opened made me feel very unwanted and I will not be going back to that one.

Strange to say, but I have gotten the friendliest help from our Walmart. Even people who don't work in fabrics but come over to cut it, are very nice.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM

It seems like WalMart has the poorest service in their fabric dept. of anyplace the I have ever been. I am one who likes to look & shop by myself unless I need help...then, I am not shy about asking....when I can find someone to ask! I have owned businesses in the past (not quilting shops) and I always posted a sign which read, "If you like our store...tell your friends; if you don't like something....PLEASE tell the owner". Most owners/managers feel the same way.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM

I had two times in one day that I walked into a LQS and was treated unfriendly. I was looking for more fabric for a quilt I was making and I was dressed in blue jeans and my normal sweatshirt and it was snowing and had a stocking cap on and an older jacket. No one would wait on me and I went looking around there fabric store. The lady was watching me like a hawk and she finely told me to leave the store. The next LQS I looked around for the fabric I needed but no luck on the fabric. They had a longarm there and inquired about the prices of having a queensize quilt quilted. She got huffy with me and she walked away. The last LQS I stopped at was very nice and friendly she didn't have the fabric I needed but she took the time to suggest some changes of fabric that would complament the fabric I already cut up. It turned out very nice.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I go to a quilt store in Henderson, NV. It never fails everytime I walk in that store I am just looked at. No hello, how are you, can I help you...I don't have 3 eyes, I dress OK. Whats their deal? I still go back to touch their fabric but I don't buy from them too often. I'd rather give my money to a friendlier store.
Wow I am shocked. As there is only one quilt shop in Henderson I know the shop of which you speak. I was vacationing there in December and very well treated and I found the customer service outstanding. However, I am one that likes to browse and really only wants help when I ask for it. But I was greeted when I came in, directed to the Asian prints which I asked for upon entering. When I started piling bolts up, I was brought a cart, I was told about the sale rack with discontinuted fabs, encouraged to check out the class rooms and was treated very nicely. Went back the next day and was also treated very nicely.

I have been most fortunate that I have never ever had a bad experience in a quilt shop (I do not count chain stores in this statement like JoAnnes or generic fabric shops not catering to quilters). I have had a bad experience in a sewing machine shop and did end up buying my Bernina at a dealer that was much further away from me but gave the outward appearance of actually wanting my business, and they are a wonderful QS as well. The first place acted as though I was intruding when I walked in the door, even after it became apparent I was a serious buyer in the market for a specific machine. The other dealer I ended up buying from charged more but the customer service made the difference in my decision.

I do know there are bad apples in the barrel and some places do give a first impression of being haughty. But in the grand scheme of things we should all remember, we get as good as we give. If we give the appearance of being friendly and courteous we often get it right back. If not, maybe a blunt approach is best like asking the clerk if they are having a bad day. Sometimes that works wonders for turning a bad attitude around. Additionally, I think if the customer gives off a vibe of being standoffish or unapproachable chances are they won't be approached unless they ask.