Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM

I live in Florida where is this shop at? But I do notice that many clerks here are infriendly. Think maybe they are reptired and have to work for extra money and dont like that which I cannot blame them
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jean knapp
I live in Florida where is this shop at? But I do notice that many clerks here are unfriendly. Think maybe they are retired and have to work for extra money and dont like that which I cannot blame them
Rainbow's End is in Dunedin, and my favorite is country quilts & bears in Clearwater.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Sorry that you had the experience that you did, its unfortunate. As a shop owner, my first expectation of customer service is that the customer is there not only to look at or buy fabric, but to engage in conversations that will help her with her projects. Our slogan is Fabrics, classes, Kits, and Friendships.

If anyone ever had a bad experience here, I would want to know about it, so I could look into it.

Lanny
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM

I was just at a new for me QS this morning. There was an elderly lady at the cutting counter and then another lady in the office, I would assume she was the owner. The elderly lady greeted me when I came in and asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. I asked her if I could browse. Then the (I assume) owner came out to speak to the counter lady, twice, walked past me, twice, never nodded smiled or anything. Kinda irritated me. I did spend almost $50 there but not sure that I would race back there.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I know which one you are talking about. I know I am a weirdo because I prefer to be left alone in a quilt shop, so my perception of unfriendly probably doesn't match yours. The staff at that shop does leave me alone but I don't remember anyone being unfriendly. They have lots of fabric - that's all I care about.

And I have also visited the Sedona shop several times and never had a bad experience. It is a great shop.

Sorry you didn't have a wonderful time after all your driving time. You might want to let the owner know that you made such an effort and were disappointed. I'm sure you were really looking forward to the visit.
Well, I don't know the shop, but I like to be left alone, too! It really bugs me when I get asked six times if I need help. I guess they do it so someone who likes that or needs help won't be put off. I know what I am looking for. Usually nothing! But I find lots anyway :) !
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM

I think it is a disease in FLorida. Quilt shops are NOT friendly here. That is why I mostly buy on line
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by patski
I think it is a disease in FLorida. Quilt shops are NOT friendly here. That is why I mostly buy on line
That's really too bad. It doesn't really take "everyone" to be friendly to feel like it's friendly. One or two people is enough to feel like it's friendly. But when it's management who are chilly...

I've been to Quilts on Plum Lane in Dade City, FL and they were VERY helpful and friendly. I mean, very. I hadn't finished my first quilt (machine quilting) yet and they encouraged me to try it. They also counseled me about batting and helped me find a match of some fabric I was trying to find (something to bring together purple and green). Very friendly at the quilt shop in Dade City. I recommend it.

As far as "looking like money" I had hoped that people were over that by now. Doesn't pretty much everyone wear jeans and t-shirts these days? And didn't Sam Walton drive around in a battered pickup and jeans or bib overalls as well? People are really bad about that here in Poland, though. I hate being given the "once over" to decide if I'm worth being waited on.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
There is another cute shop not too far from Dunedin - Country Bears and Quilts in Clearwater. It's not nearly as big as RE but I always find some great fabric there. Visit it next time you're over that way.
And those people are soooo friendly, and if Francie is still there, she makes the sweetest bears!!! Great teacher, and fantastic classes on bear making! Can't go to FL without going there.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Boy after reading all the stories about bad experiences with quilt shops I think I will go to all our local shops and give them all a big hug.. If you are ever in or near Peoria Ill..we have not counting joanns and walmarts; six, yes six within 25 miles of each other and SEVERAL others within a hours drive. All give great service. The prices are reasonable and most have sale walls. Believe me I have been to all of them. Do stop in and see some of them. Let them know you read about them on the board.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM

They say that if you are happy with a business you'll tell maybe 2 people, but if you are unhappy, you'll tell everyone you know.
Business owners need to know how they are hurting themselves by not having good CS and if they can't, they need to get out of that business.