Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM

There is a very large shop (dont' know how many bolts - too many) in Joliet IL. I've been there a few times when I can't find that certain something in either of the shops that I do like. The staff at this Joliet store are sometimes rude, but mostly just "un-accommodating" as if I was disturbing them to cut fabric. Once, I had asked for a particular notion (a Ruby Beholder color value finder). She said "well I'VE never heard of it" and walked away!! It was extrememely rude for two reasons, one was the way she said it as if I must not know what I was talking about because the expert never heard of it, but mostly because when she said that she was at the register (the only register) and I was standing there with purchases ready to check out! She came back about 2 minutes later and asked "are you ready now". I said "I've BEEN ready!". I try not to go to this shop but oh my - they do have a wonderful selection!!

Sue
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM

thanks - how far is mt. airy?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

yes i have, and no i wont be back !!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM

what kind of dog are you showing?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Yep that's Rainbow'sEnd for you -consistently inconsistent. They have a couple of good sales people, and others that only have time for their very regulars(which isn't me and I bought a machine from them!) I have it serviced at Sue's Bay Area Sewing their great. Country Quilts & Bears however is awesome!! Smaller but a fantastic fabric selection and their classes are the Best! The owners are friendly, knowledgable and helpful. I've been to many quilt shops in FL and only one other unfriendly one - in downtown Lakeland. They were very rude & cold have never gone back. Just like being athlete doesn't mean you can coach, being a talented quilter doesn't mean you should own or work at a LQS. Just sayin'...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM

I was at one shop and I had picked out some material that I wanted, went to the cutting table and stood there waiting for one of the two sales ladies to come and wait on me. They were so busy talking to each other that I'm not sure if they even saw me. I finally laid the material down and walked out of the store. That was a few years ago, if it would happen to me now I would send a note to the shop and let them know what happened.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I had a nasty experience like that at the jo-ann's out here, there was absolutely no one in line which is rare, brought my fabric to the counter, and she said i had to take a number even thought the next number was the actual next number. i took it and she walked away for like 20 minute. how rude was that
I think I would have walked out of the store if the employee did that to me. After all, we don't need them, they need us. We can go online and buy, sometimes for much less than the LQS.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Our LQS she is very nice but there have been times when I have been in a hurry and she would be on the PC when I entered.Turn around look at me say nothing and go back to the PC. I felt she should at least say be with you in a minute or something.But she really is a very nice lady always willing to help with a problem even if I call on the phone. So no ligitamate complaints really.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The most mean quilt shop person I have ever visited was the big one in Sedona, AZ. I forgot the name. It's been sold since then so the owner that was there when I was I guess is gone too. The employees were trying to be nice but the owner was so hateful and biting everyone's head off all they could do was say yes ma'am and look embarrassed. I didn't buy a thing there. I heard it's a super nice shop now.
I was at this shop last Oct. Very nice place, friendly staff. They also have a Quilt Gallery in another bldg. right next door. You have to be brought there, since the bldg. is locked, but well worth the stop. My husband was along and I so enjoyed the fact he was interested and wanted to see the quilts. There's also a very neat Yarn Shop across the street. Very friendly people in there too, with lots of examples of garments to make, displayed.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes two different ones, gave them both a second chance to no avail, am boycotting them both. Rather go without then supporting them. P.S. did complain to management but as yet no reply