Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organise your fabric stash? >

How do you organise your fabric stash?

How do you organise your fabric stash?

Old 03-27-2016, 03:56 AM

Luckily, I don't have too much to organize... currently I am working on one too many projects so some of my pieces are layed out on the guest bed... does that mean they're organized?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 AM

I am lucky to have a third of our finished basement for my quilt studio. It is lined with white Billy bookcases from Ikea...they are floor to ceiling. My fabrics are sorted in colors. I started with my whites, tans, beiges, browns, then light blues to dark, light pinks to dark reds, etc., etc.
Of course, when sun is bright, my windows are blocked to prevent fading. My fat quarters are stored on a shelf designed to hold cd's....perfect size....again sorted in colors lights to darks. Scraps go into a large canvas bin for my crazy quilts. Friends like to come by to "shop" my stash. I've greatly downsized over the past few months as more friends have increased their stash from mine!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:58 AM

I have very little space for bins or boxes, so most of my larger pieces of fabric is on fat clothes hangers in the closet, sorted somewhat by what goes well together, all covered by see-thru' light-weight plastic. Additionally, I have 2 small shelf units, one on either end of my cutting table. I keep a wide variety of stuff on those shelves, including a stack of small pieces of fabric (average a yd. or less); one or 2 shelves devoted to backings and some generous yardage still on the cardboard in which it came from the store. Except for a box of only blue fabrics (and not all my blue fabric is in there), I don't sort by color. I actually don't have enough of a stash to be storage or search & find problems.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 AM

I sort them by colour & don't worry about whether they are plain or have a pattern. The only group that is by itself is my Batik collection.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 AM

This thread is appropriately timed because I am currently in the process of putting all my fabric on fabric boards and will store them on shelves built into the closet in my sewing room that was made just for this purpose. Until now I have just used the fold and stack method trying to keep similar colors together. That was a pain because it seems like everytime I pull one out the rest of the stack would fall and make a mess. I can't wait to get this finished and all my fabrics under control. So thanks for all your thoughts on this as I thought I'd just put like colors together and fold FQs but now I'm rethinking my organization into different types like some of you have shared about.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:38 AM

Large pieces by color in bins. Small pieces less than quarter yard cuts in plastic shoe boxes. However due to room size constraints Sometimes new fabric gets thrown into catchalls until I have time to un.stack and restack. The color bin I want is always on the bottom . DianeC
Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure you could sell your fabric you are giving away on here. Then us the money to buy shelfing or thread or something you could use.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 AM

For those of you who use the comic book boards, Do you buy the thick ones and where do you get them from?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

I got my comic boards from BCW Comic Supplies. Back when I
got mine (last year) they were $8.00 per 100. Although the price
has gone up (what hasn't gone up in price right?), but at least they
still offer free shipping on orders of $80.00 and more.

I like the "Silver" age boards myself.

BCW Supplies

Originally Posted by Clmay View Post
For those of you who use the comic book boards, Do you buy the thick ones and where do you get them from?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Largest pieces on the bottom of a cabinet; usually 5 or more yrds
The next 2 shelves are arranged by color and stand like books; ROYGBIV order (rainbow)
Top shelf is smaller amounts of fabrics 1yd or less
Flannel is in separate book shelf...but is slowly being invaded by 100% cotton that's overflowing from 1rst cabinet.