Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organise your fabric stash? >

How do you organise your fabric stash?

How do you organise your fabric stash?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I'm appreciating the helpful replies to my question about storing thread and bobbins. Next: the fabric. I know how I'm going to store it, but categorising it is always a bugbear. I arrange by colour, but also try to divide by size, so that I'm not putting small pieces with potential quilt backings. (And when does a small piece become a scrap?!). Ive tried various arrangements in the past, and would be interested to know how other people sort their fabric.
Doesn't matter, I always have difficulty finding exactly what I want that I know I just touched last week!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 AM

Small amounts of yardage/wof are sorted by color on comic boards. Less than yard/wof are on comic boards in a large tote. Large amounts of yardage are on original fabric shop board. Fat Quarters are in a large tote. Scraps are stored in small totes by size.

Then there's flannel in a tote, shirts in a cabinet, but I won't talk about kits. Hahaha!

Do what works best for you. It may take several attempts.

Nan
Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Luckily, I don't have too much to organize... currently I am working on one too many projects so some of my pieces are layed out on the guest bed... does that mean they're organized?
Yes, knowing who's bed they are on counts as organized in my book

Rob
Old 03-30-2016, 03:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zso...eid=d005e4d147

This might help for with some of the leftovers.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:40 AM

I organize by color, plus I have separate boxes for Christmas, Novelty, Batiks, Other Holidays, Civil War, I Spy Charms, 5" Charms, 2-1/2" Candies, Pre-Cut Shapes (Dresden, Etc.), Projects in Progress, etc.

Generally I consider anything smaller than an F8 to be a "small scrap". I cut those into 5.5" squares, and then I cut as many 2-1/2" squares as I can out of whatever is left. Those are the two sizes I use most. Any leftover strips that are at least 1" wide go into a baggie, which I usually pass on to someone else (I don't have much patience with small pieces).

(Sounds great "on paper", but quite often I'm behind on keeping everything organized! LOL! )

It really just depends on the types of fabrics you have, the projects you do, and the size of scraps that you use most.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
I organize by color, plus I have separate boxes for Christmas, Novelty, Batiks, Other Holidays, Civil War, I Spy Charms, 5" Charms, 2-1/2" Candies, Pre-Cut Shapes (Dresden, Etc.), Projects in Progress, etc.

Generally I consider anything smaller than an F8 to be a "small scrap". I cut those into 5.5" squares, and then I cut as many 2-1/2" squares as I can out of whatever is left. Those are the two sizes I use most. Any leftover strips that are at least 1" wide go into a baggie, which I usually pass on to someone else (I don't have much patience with small pieces).

(Sounds great "on paper", but quite often I'm behind on keeping everything organized! LOL! )

It really just depends on the types of fabrics you have, the projects you do, and the size of scraps that you use most.
===============================

Your note brought back a memory of a fabric I was working with a few years back. It turned out to be the big ugly in my project. But then someone told me, not to despair, the fabric simply needed to be cut into smaller pieces. Two inch squares ought to do it. :0) For me though, I'll stop at 2 1/2 inch strips.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:05 AM

I sort by color. I also keep batiks together, cottons together and flannels/homespuns together. My wools have their own happy place....also by color.