Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your fabric scraps? >

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM

I am currently using my scraps for crumb blocks. It takes me sewing a few pieces together before I can "see" the block shaping up. I am really enjoying it! The frugal part of me is happy to have found a use for these leftovers.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM

I have two of those big plastic containers that people usually put Christmas decorations and stuff like that in. They are both jampacked. Please if you have ideas about what to do with this tell me.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Organize? What is that word you speak of?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:37 PM

I keep mu scraps in a separate area. When I decide on a quilt I want to make I take a copy of the instructions and start cutting fabric to make the quilt. That way I have the size pieces I need and they are all in the same spot with the instructions. I can make a few blocks at a time or wait until I have enough cut to make the whole quilt.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:45 PM

I sort by color and a few specialty types ie. 30's, kids. Cutting is done on an as needed basis.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I don't have time to organize so most of them get folded up and put back in where similar fabric are stored. Mostly are my tonals which I have in the large Iris drawers.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM

You mean we are suppose to organize them? Mine are in a huge tubby and are used when I need them. I made a scrappy quilt only to find they multiplied and I still can't get the lid on the box. Guess I will have to make another one.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 PM

I cut mine in 1 1/2, to 5. Or the largest size I can get out of the piece of scrap not exceeding 5 inches. I have found that If I run out of a certain size, I can cut up one size to get what i want, plus another size - ex - out of a 5 In square I can get 4 2 1/2 in it all depends on what I am making.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 PM

I don't organize scraps in any way. I think of mine more like an archeological dig. All the scraps from each quilt get thrown in together. If I have an idea of which quilt the scrap fabric I want is from, I can find the scraps I'm looking for.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM

I've begun a system and we shall see how useful it is . But this is it in a nutshell:

1. If I can get a FQ or very close to it, I roll it up and tie it loosely with a strippy scrap. I put that into a a preety open tin on the dresser for inspiration.
2. I use an IKEA bookcase that has two shelves . Each contains clear shoeboxes with lids (Dollar Tree). I have been cutting the widest strip possible if I have ironed something. The sizes I have been cutting are 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,4, 5, and also 6. To be honest, I haven't really dipped into them for a new quilt.
3. Little bits go into a gallon ziploc bag for doll pillows. (I make doll quilts for charity.) When the bag is full, I begin trashing bits after that.
4. I save anything larger than about 6" square as a whole piece.

I'm also ready Cut the Scraps! right now for her reasoning of her methods .I do think it's wise to keep scraps in smaller bins, not deep ones.
5. That said, I have a clear 3-drawer organizer on wheels next to my sewing desk. Top drawer is machine feet and extra bobbins. Second drawer is "light" scraps and third is "darks." That's so I can see at a glance the contrasts.

I also have a little box of 4" squares and one for all blues. Thought I'd make a blue and white quilt someday...