Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last?  Will this be my forever DSM >

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM

I just got a new machine because my 37 year old Viking which has sewn miles and miles over the years had a foot controller issue and it was difficult to get a part for it. I will continue to use it for my back up machine. I have two Featherweight machines that are going strong, one from 1934 and the other from 1938 so machines can last a long time if given proper care and you can still get parts for them.

My hope for you is that you have more than 20 years left of sewing. You are relatively young and at your age should be looking more at 30-40 years of sewing. I have several ladies in my quilt guild that are in their 90's and still going strong, driving themselves there and sewing up a storm. In all probability, a machine you buy in your 40's is not a forever machine.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Personally, I think any new sewing machine will purposely be "obsolete" within the next year, just like computers, cars, etc. My one and only computerized machine is over 6 years old and it will most likely be my last "modern" machine, although I do love it. If you're one of the people who have to have the "latest and greatest" and can afford them, then go ahead, but what I would do, is go to a dealer and see what they have as trade ins, since you'll most likely get an higher end machine at a price that would be much higher for the same new machine. I have lots of old machines that I love and would rather buy an old one versus a new one.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM

I'm sure you have many more than 20 active years of sewing left cuz if we're supposed to quit at age 68, there's a whole slew of us in deep, deep trouble here!

Your last question - "How realistic is it to expect to even use the same machine for 10 to 15 years and be okay with not trading it in for something else?" - is the key question.

My Bernina is 13, my Viking is 25, my truck is 18, all my kitchen appliances are 27, my washer is 28, and my dryer is 42. All are mechanically sound (the truck, alas, has terminal rust) and perform their assigned functions with joy and vigor whenever called upon. The thing is, all but the Bernina and the truck have nothing whatsoever to do with computers or even electronics and therein lies your answer.

The Bernina software is no longer supported so I cannot add to or modify any of the embroidery stitches. I strongly suspect it will be that type of thing that drives you to upgrade at least once between now and 'forever' even if you don't crave any type of newly offered features.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM

I sew on a Bernina Artista 180 that I've had for better than 10 years now and it's still purring along. I think about buying a new one every once in a while and decide that I really like this one and don't want to get another right now. I think with care even the computerized machines will last 15 years or more.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
I sew on a 30+ year old Bernina. It is a mechanical, so doesn't have the bells and whistles or the computers. I do think with care, it is reasonable to expect a high end machine to last.
I agree. My Berninas are over 20 years old and not a major problem has occurred. I am happy quilting on them and I don't need any of the new bells and whistles. I use enders so I don't need the thread cutter and I don't need a laser light to guide my stitching. I have won many awards with my quilts that I quilted on a 7" throat so I don't need a larger one. It just depends on what you want and what you can afford. DSM are a lot like cars.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I agree. My Berninas are over 20 years old and not a major problem has occurred. I am happy quilting on them and I don't need any of the new bells and whistles. I use enders so I don't need the thread cutter and I don't need a laser light to guide my stitching. I have won many awards with my quilts that I quilted on a 7" throat so I don't need a larger one. It just depends on what you want and what you can afford. DSM are a lot like cars.
That is so true!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM

I have a Bernina that is 20+ years old. I loved it when I got it and still do. About the time it was 10 years old I became enamored by a Viking Quilt Designer and bought one. It turned out to be the ultimate "lemon". After 2 years the dealer gave me a brand new Designer 1. I really love it as well. I use both of them and at 70 years old I have no intention of buying anything new. I have regular service on both and care for them well. About 3 years ago I had a problem with one of the computer boards on the Bernina and the dealer sent it to the company to be reworked. It runs like new. If you are good about service and care of your machine, you should have them for as long as you want to keep them.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

My machine has been with me for 18 years. Ask yourself, is your machine doing what you want it to do and meeting your needs and doing a good job of it?

I bought my LA just before all the computerized machines came out and I sure couldn't afford to upgrade that machine. I would really like to though.

A DHM can be a big investment and like cell phones a new improved model comes on the market every day.

Have your machine meet your needs. My DHM has the original ability to interact with a computer to do embroidery and I have never used it in 18 years, yet I love everything else my machine does, Good stitching, many special stitches and It has never had to be repaired.

Hope you find a machine you love.
peace
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I think the new high end machines will give you 10 years before you start wanting the newer version. Brother is announcing a brand new high end ultimate sewing machine in a few weeks. Wait until then for the Dreamweaver to not be the new machine anymore.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. No, I am not the type to need the latest and greatest. We keep our cars 20 years, our kitchen is 22 years old now and the only update is the fridge and the dishwasher about 10 years ago. We don't have iphones and never will. So, I'm not so much worried about needing the latest sewing machine that comes out because it is bigger or has more options. I really was thinking more along the lines of functionality and their useful life considering the amount of computer technology in the Crescendos, Dreamweavers, high-end Berninas, etc.

I just knew that my current machine was not meeting my needs nor performing like it should. I truly believe my machine was a bit of a lemon. It's straight stitch is occasionally very sloppy looking (every few stitches slants a different angle off from being straight), the lighting was very poor so I was needing to add lamps and was considering buying the LED kits, the needle plate has always been a complete bear to put back on "correctly". Every time I took it off to clean the bobbin area, it took me 2 hours to 2 days to get it back on properly. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you are very lucky but I know there are some of us that have this problem with their machines and it is very, very frustrating. This problem, which the service tech just looked at me funny about, has been keeping me from cleaning the machine as much as I should. I have struggled with sewing heavy items (as the quilts come together row by row) because it is on a table top so it is way too high and uncomfortable to sew on. This would be a problem with any machine really. So, of course I have been wanting a set in sewing table. I have zeroed in on one that is affordable for the size and was realizing that if I buy the custom insert cut out for what I have now but am thinking about getting something else, I would need to figure that out before buying the table. This, incredibly, is exactly how my husband and I spent 18 months doing home improvement projects to our old house when we were only setting out to buy a larger sink in the kitchen.

So I have a confession. I just got home from purchasing the Crescendo!!! I am excited to get it set up; and now, I only have to buy the sewing cabinet/table and the insert and I will feel like all my dreams have come true. I now feel with the machine and the table I will be better equipped to successfully quilt some of my own quilts.

My hat is off and mad props to the ladies that are quilting with smaller harp space and without some of the luxuries of the new machines like thread cutting and better lighting. If you are successful, keep doing what you are doing. I hope to join your ranks with my new machine. I think I just needed more tools at my disposal to be successful.