Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last?  Will this be my forever DSM >

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM

I would like to suggest for these expensive machines out and What was recommended to me when I bought my Longarm was to invest in a really good battery backup surge protector. I believe it is just as an important investment as the machine was. Yeah they are 100.-300.00 but considering how much the machines are, well worth it. I also have my Viking Ruby on it. But just to be sure I still unplug during thunder storms and weather that would cause power outages. I took a class from Viking rep and she recommended the battery backup and had said that a lot of circuit board problems arise from blinking on and off of lights and power outages.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM

I love the Brother machines! They sew well and take a lot of abuse. Just as important, they have very thorough and user friendly user manuals/user guides. The manuals don't assume you know anything about sewing and that's a good thing. I've re-learned a few things that I thought I knew how to do correctly because of the user guides.

I don't see myself ever owning a truly "high end" Brother machine as I'm not really interested in all the fanciness that implies, but if that were to change in the next 20 years, I would not hesitate to buy a Brother.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 AM

My answer is yes, you deserve a new machine and they certainly offer sewing options the older machines do, but don't expect to use your new machine for 20-30 years like the older models. Personally, I think the sewing/embroidery machines are fun (I have one) but I would never again buy a combo machine. Technology outdates the embroidery portion very quickly (5-10 years) and you end up with an "old" machine. I also think that trying to engineer these machines to "perform so much fun things" causes equipment repair problems. I don't have anything really bad to say but any of them but embroidery became boring to me after a while and I don't ever sew on my combo machine. I end up going back to my old 1230 Bernina for that. I think trying to make the new machines "do everything" brings the cost of the machines to an unreasonable amount. If I every decide to get into embroidery again, I will probably buy a cheaper unit that just embroiders.....my embroidery machine uses floppys and my new computer doesn't even have a floppy port so downloading for my old embroidery machine impossible. Just food for thought....
Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

I have a treadle I have used since the 70's. From there I have several old electric machines and a Bernina I bought 10 years ago. All work fine... Never had problems with any of them. Babylock is a good brand....enjoy
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
So I have a confession. I just got home from purchasing the Crescendo!!! I am excited to get it set up; and now, I only have to buy the sewing cabinet/table and the insert and I will feel like all my dreams have come true. I now feel with the machine and the table I will be better equipped to successfully quilt some of my own quilts.
Congratulatiions on your new machine!! May you have a very long and productive life together!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 AM

I have a featherweight and a Singer 401A purchased in 1957 which I use every day. I also have a Viking which is 20 years old and my mother's treadle which my father swapped a shotgun for in 1917. They all work well. I don't think that I will be in the market for any others. I have faithfully taken care of all of them and they sew beautifully.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 AM

Very good comments on this topic. I have several (ahem, too many) machines and hubs bought me a fancy Brother DreamCreator. I hope it will last quite a while but who knows? My basic Brother and my new computerized sewing/embroidery machines are serving me well. I probably den't NEED the upgrade but it has expanded my sewing adventures so.....
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 AM

Here is my advice since you have asked. Upgrade when you are not satisfied with your current machine. Don't keep old machines around unless you have a big sewing room which I don't have. I have an Embroidery machine, a janome that serves me just fine and a serger. I feel those three machines help me to make anything I need to do.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:36 AM

If you can afford it, go for the new one. My Granny had a terrible, although expensive and most popular brand, sewing machine. The bobbin was underneath the machine for one thing. She had to tip it over to get to the bobbin. I told her to trade it in and get a new one. She felt she was too old to buy a new machine, so she limped along with her terrible one for the next 20 years! Go ahead and get the machine you want. Like a computer, you don't think you need one until you have one!

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I'm contemplating buying a Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 or the Babylock Crescendo. These machines are said to be the most advanced sewing machines on the market. They are high in price (although certainly not nearly as high as the prices on the higher end Janomes).

I was talking to my DH about buying one of these and I was thinking this would be a machine I can use forever. But upon reflection, I realize that that is probably pretty unrealistic. I am 48 years old and hope to have at least another 20 years or more of sewing. I started with a basic Janome I had purchased 10 years ago and never used until 2011. Then, that fall I wanted something with more options (thread cutting and more stitches) and bigger throat so I got a Babylock Espire as a trade in machine from the LQS. I have never bonded with this machine and feel it is a bit of a lemon. How realistic is it to expect to even use the same machine for 10 to 15 years and be okay with not trading it in for something else?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 AM

I'd purchase the Brother Dreamweaver if I was in the market. It's a beautiful machine. Imo, I'd stay away from computerized Janome (personal experience) and Babylock (friends' experiences) machines. That said, computerized machines have a built-in obsolescence (usually around 5-7 years) which vintage metal mechanical machines don't have. Their repair bills are higher due to their electronic parts which will possibly fail at some point.