Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last?  Will this be my forever DSM >

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Motherboards can be 6-800 dollars my machine is in the thousands, so this is not a very true statement unless you have one of the lower models
Thanks Dolphyn. I was wondering about the cost of a new motherboard for a machine. Good to know.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM

This has been a wonderful read this morning, as I make an attempt at getting my day started (coffee cup and computer up and going before I get my mind fully awake); I wish I had someone's repair person nearby (I think she is in FL). Repair people are might near extinct anymore. I do have one person that I can depend on for my Gammill (need him at least once a year, even though Gammill is supposed to be perfect); but for the others, the expense of having someone come out to correct one thing is not something that I want to do, so I set the machine aside, and wait to call him--his calls start at $120 and go from there. And I am not a person to destroy a sewing machine when I sit down to sew--I do all the right things, sewing machines just have their cranky moments, and I am not too patient with cranky moments with a machine when I have got my mind set on a certain amount of sewing I need to get done today. Know what I mean.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM

My take on this is: it depends on what you buy and how you take care of it. I have newer machines and computerized machine, also treadles. That said, on occasion, I haul out my Elna, that was a revelation to me in 1964, and use it for a particular job.
A PS on this Elna, I had to get a bank loan at that time to buy this machine. The price I paid would be considered piddly now, in comparison to what the price of new machine are now.

Last edited by Yooper32; 07-29-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM

I'm agree with linda8450. It sounds like you like to keep up with technology, especially when it adds convenience. It also sounds like you are an "off and on quilter/sewist" as leaving a brand new Janome, a very reliable machine, sitting idle for 10 years speaks volumes. If you want to make quilts, your Babylock Espire is all the machine you will ever need. If you like to shop, look are the newest machines, appreciate all the bells and whistles of the newer models, then do it, but don't blame the machine. Most of us have more than one and enjoy them all. There's no right or wrong to this. Just enjoy the process. Good luck and have fun. Remember, it's not work!!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 AM

My goodness! I have a Kenmore that uses cams for decorative stitches and it is more than 60 years old and still sews like a dream. My daughter bought me a 1940's straight stitch Singer in the loveliest cabinet I have ever seen and it sews like a dream. My Janome 4800 is 15 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have friends who are very happy with the Brother machines they bought at Wal Mart. My Ford Freestyle has 140,000 miles on it, every one of which I put on it, and I have no intention of giving it up any time soon. I am 78, and I intend to sew another 20 years, too, probably using the machines and the car I have now. froggyintexas
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 PM

I have a couple of old Singer (not antiques) that sew great, one was my Mothers thats she taught me to sew on some 40yrs ago and it's still going strong, bought a Dressmaker machine at an Auction 15yrs ago, sews great. I bought a Janome jem Silver Limited 25yr Anniversary (little bitty machine at an Estate Sale for $20) that Janome sewed so quietly and great stitches that I set my mind that I wanted a bigger Janome for a larger throat space 9", I done a lot of research on them and decided on the 6600. I am happy to say I bought a very slightly used one for $500 less than the cheapest i could find online or in LQS. I also bought a Tin Lizzie 18 (one of the 1st to come out, it even has a phone jack for the regulator) I haven't been able to set that one up due to cleaning out a spare bedroom just to have the room for it. I'm hoping it works good, if it doesn't I'll take it to houston (4hr drive) to get it fixed up. I paid $2,00 for it including the frame at an Estate Sale. Just praying it works good & I can figure out how to run it. Not sure about the regulator or what it's supposed to do, but I really don't want to have a land line just to use the Lizzie. If any of you know about the NON-COMPUTERIZED Tin Lizzie 18's please email me @ [email protected] or private message me here. Sorry for rambling along. But this board is like an encyclopedia of all things sewing related. That you all for all your wisdom!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 AM

I have a Babylock Elligao that I bought used several years ago, I just had it serviced and it is showing over 325,000embroidery minutes and close to the same on sewing. Maybe that will tell you how long they can be used with regular servicing. Maybe not, but I was suprised when I got the paperwork telling me that.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Oops I meant hours and not minutes.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

As long as you keep a machine maintained and in working condition, you can make it last forever. That is why so many nice looking and working machines have lasted as long as they have.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 AM

If you take care of the machine their is no reason why it won't last. I find the middle of the line to last longer as they don't have all the extra's that can break. I feel most of us trade up because of all the new items like thread cutter, etc., not because the machine is wore out. I have several old feather weights that sew better than some of the newer machines. I feel that keeping a machine brushed out of lint and changing the needle may be the key to last life.