Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last?  Will this be my forever DSM >

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 PM

I am not familiar with those machines, I have computerized machines that require software for an embroidery function. The windows programs and the software are not always combatable. One machine uses floppy's it's 14 years old but it nice.......just my thoughts
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM

I sew and quilt on my 1986 Pfaff 1471 all the time. I have a fancier Brother 1500D and it is a good machine but I still go back to my Pfaff. It is one of the first computer ones and I paid $1000 for it which I thought was terribly expensive at the time, but believe me I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I have never had to have many repairs, just minor things like a new cord for the foot pedal, plus servicing. I understand now you can hardly get parts for it but I will use it until it can go no more, love that machine.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 PM

A lot of the non computerized machines will probably last many many years, I don't know about the computerized ones. Once the Mother Board goes, it's usually, cheaper to buy a new machine, unless your warranty is still good.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM

I think it will probably last as long as you will want it. Today's computerized machines will be obsolete from changes in software and failure of chips much faster than the old mechanical machines. Plus newer models with features not thought of today will be calling to us. How many of us are using a 10-15 year old PC/Mac????
Old 07-28-2014, 05:20 PM

My ex bought me a brother about 16 years ago. It bit the dust last week. So now I am happily sewing on my 1940 something Commander (pre Kenmore). Only a straight stitch but about 8 inches harp space. Instead of buying a new machine, I am putting my Mothers 70's Kenmore in the shop. It has a couple of stitches and I don't use the fancy ones on the Brother anyway. And the Kenmore doesn't travel around the table either. And it has 7 inches harp space. So a better investment for me. It has lasted about 40 years and I can see that many more in it.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Congratulations on buying a Crescendo! I just bought one about a month ago and I love, love, love it!! I have been sewing for over 45 years and have had about 4 different sewing machines during that time. The Crescendo is a quilter's dream - I still find it hard to believe I own such a wonderful machine! I smile everytime I use it. Enjoy your new Crescendo!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
My Walmart cheapie Brother machine is 18 years old. It has sewn everything you can possibly think of and a few things no one should ever sew. It is still going strong.
Love my walmart cheapie too,and even though I cost so little compared to my TOL that little thing sews the best little straight stitch and the best buttonholes despite its cost
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM

There are a lot of people still using embroidery machines from 15 years ago and they still run great which tells me when taken care of things last
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
A lot of the non computerized machines will probably last many many years, I don't know about the computerized ones. Once the Mother Board goes, it's usually, cheaper to buy a new machine, unless your warranty is still good.
Motherboards can be 6-800 dollars my machine is in the thousands, so this is not a very true statement unless you have one of the lower models
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM

One way to think about the newer, bigger, sewing machines, is that they are computers. Circuit boards are warrantied for about 5 years (you may want to check that on the Dreamweaver and Crescendo). When one of those goes out, it's a major expense. That might be when you'd want to up-grade--as with any computer. There's also software up-dates on some machines--just like a computer. The older mechanical machines will run forever if taken care of. Not so much with the computerized models.